PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Oxide assist?

Peteohms
12-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Would this work to help with high density altitude?

YouTube:

http://youtu.be/NZ1ekkOca5A

Esser
12-28-2014, 12:46 PM
:eek: I think that for engine life I would stick with a turbo charger for high alt.

Peteohms
12-28-2014, 01:51 PM
:eek: I think that for engine life I would stick with a turbo charger for high alt.

Do you mean my early model 912 with 1100 hrs might not be a good candidate? ;-)

Paul Z
12-28-2014, 02:19 PM
The 912 you have could get an aftermarket turbo!

Av8r3400
12-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Or you could skip the doughnuts & cheeseburgers for a little while and drop a couple pounds for the same effect.

(I resemble that remark… :eek:)

Paul Z
12-28-2014, 04:33 PM
No, No, No I have to eat my Donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peteohms
12-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Or you could skip the doughnuts & cheeseburgers for a little while and drop a couple pounds for the same effect.

(I resemble that remark… :eek:)

It's easier to add nitrous! ;-). I remember a friend who added nitrous to a hotrod.

Paul Z
12-28-2014, 05:38 PM
I personally can't imagine controlling/stearing a tail Dragger when the Nitrous it turned off, the least off in taxing, you may end up in the dirt.

Peteohms
12-28-2014, 05:47 PM
I personally can't imagine controlling/stearing a tail Dragger when the Nitrous it turned off, the least off in taxing, you may end up in the dirt.

The video seems to show nitrous being turned on and full throttle applied after approaching takeoff speed. He's off the ground before you can blink.

WISDAN
12-30-2014, 05:16 AM
That's a friend of mine in his experimental HuskyChaser. He blew his first engine testing the set up, then rebuilt the Lycoming and flying it again.

Av8r3400
12-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Food for thought: adding a tank, high pressure lines, solinoids, fuel pumps and wiring is going to gain you at least 30-40 pounds for that 15-25 hp momentary boost. All the while one failed component or minor misadjustment will cause catastrophic engine failure and probable fire.

There are better ways to increase horsepower or overcome DA issues.

I've seen too many cars burn from nitrous. It's not for me, thanks.

TahoeTim
12-30-2014, 06:53 AM
+1

pointless idea that is horribly hard on the engine

WISDAN
12-30-2014, 08:07 AM
As I said, good friend of mine but I would never even consider doing this. It's enough and fun for me to fly at my airplanes normal capabilities, but hey if everyone was the same we would have nothing to talk about.

Paul Z
12-30-2014, 09:05 AM
If I were to try the nitrous, I could see it now. I would flip the switch just as I got off a little on my take off, and I'd be ground looping at warp speed.

If you have watched the video, I would be concerned with the black belly of the airplane. It is obvious it is doing something to that engine and it doesn't look good.

Kurt.A
12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
If I were to try the nitrous, I could see it now. I would flip the switch just as I got off a little on my take off, and I'd be ground looping at warp speed.

If you have watched the video, I would be concerned with the black belly of the airplane. It is obvious it is doing something to that engine and it doesn't look good.

"Ground looping at warp speed" Just think of the applause from the onlookers. LOL

I would be really concerned if the belly of the plane was not black. With the introduction of the nitrous you also need to introduce additional fuel to burn with the oxygen. The black is indicating to me that he is adding enough fuel to stay away from leaning out the mixture and creating another big bang.
My pocket book says stay away from that much fun.

Paul Z
12-30-2014, 02:03 PM
I love to draw cartoons, and I keep getting the image of a Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoon in my head. Something like his famous Rocket launches, only in the cockpit of a Kitfox airplane manufactured by Acme.. I'll have to start working on one! :)