PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer length

ken nougaret
12-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Im going to start looking for a boat trailer to modify to carry an SS. What advertised boat length should i be looking for? Im thinking 16-18'. Im also thinking maybe i should look for steel since thats the only welding experience i have.' Thanks, ken

FitchUpNorth
12-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I used a landscape trailer. Modified it to "lean" the ramp backwards. All total, all in, including commercial three light system on gate, 1200. I've seen guys with the "tracks" for the wheels, but dangit, I like a big solid deck with tie down points for ratchet straps. I also built up a trailer hitch to keep the plane in a level (more or less) attitude in transport. The absence of decking on a boat trailer, for me, makes me nervous. Plus, it's multi functional after getting the bird off. :-)

neville
12-14-2014, 06:50 AM
look at pontoon boat trailers at Mid-America trailer sales P,O, box 968
Lebanon, Mo. 65536. Ph 417 588 5888, www.midamericatrailer.com (http://www.midamericatrailer.com).
I purchased a PT 22 (21'-23' boat) without bunks but with front stand and winch plus spare tire for $ 1800. A fellow near factory will transport for a price. See attachment.

WWhunter
12-14-2014, 06:41 PM
This is the modified trailer I nearly finished yesterday. I still need to make a support for the tail. I made the modifications on it to haul the Kitfox to MD but that trip was canceled last night. :( Not the trip per se, but the hauling the Kitfox. The weather is supposed to get nasty and I realized traveling from northern MN to MD this time of year with an open trailer would not be the best idea. My main concern is the salt/slurry mix that gets spread on most of the roads up here in the midwest to fight ice. I started think I do want to have to deal with a massively corroded airplane from the salt. I had hope to finish the plane this winter and have it flying by spring.

kitfoxnick
12-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I think that is a very wise decision Keith. That's along way to trailer. I trailer-ed mine from Cincinnati to MD and cringed at every bump on I-76.

KFfan
12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I tailored mine from the KY TN line to NE IN. Most of the trip was after dark. Even at 55-60 MPH I was tense.

ken nougaret
12-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Great pics. Wwhunter, what length boat is that trailer supposed to carry? Ken

ken nougaret
12-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Trailering the plane backwards, is there a problem with air entering the cockpit through the turtle deck area?

kitfoxnick
12-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Trailering the plane backwards, is there a problem with air entering the cockpit through the turtle deck area?

No, but trailering forward I would be concerned about ballooning the wing fabric with air coming in through the butt ribs.

WWhunter
12-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Ken,
I honestly don't know and am not close to it right now. I have locked it up in the hangar and am packing to leave in the morning. I think it is for a 14' (maybe 16') boat. I had bought it used, with an Alumnicraft boat on it and it was definitely excessive for that boat.
I had to add to the tongue. If you look at the picture closely you can see where I put another boat tongue under the original. I had to extend it out 4' to allow for turning radius.

Danh
12-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Here is mine

Danh
12-15-2014, 09:15 PM
With the ramp down it cranked right up, of course it's a little light right now
And the wind blows right through it

Lion8
12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
I recently bought a 4 place jet ski trailer. It is low to the ground, has Torsion suspension with dual axels with 12 inch wheels and it's all aluminum. Very light and low to the ground. Drawbacks? a bit expensive and not readily available. -Tom, South Jersey. ( How are you Nick W. ?)

PropellerHead
12-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Mine was rated for a 16ft boat. I replaced the leaf springs with 1000lb springs from TractorSupply and moved them as far back as I could to get the proper tongue weight.

ken nougaret
12-17-2014, 01:17 PM
So you got lighter springs for a softer ride? And what tongue weight were you wanting, 100lbs?
Ken

PropellerHead
12-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Yes. The stock springs are rated for carrying a 16 ft power boat which is much heavier than Kitfox. The stiffer the springs, the more jarring the ride is going to be for the airplane. Also, because I'm towing with the airplane backwards. the center of mass of the airplane would have been behind the axles with the stock position. I was going for a tongue weight around 10% of the total weight.