PDA

View Full Version : What props are available for the 582?

beeryboats
12-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Much to my dismay, my Mod IV project needs a replacement prop. In reading the info on GCS's website I found the 5 year TBO. The blades don't look too great around the hub anyway. So, what are my other choices? Wood looks nice, but here in Indiana weather changes quickly and it could get very wet. Price is also an issue, so if a fixed pitch is less money that's fine with me.
Thanks,
Jay

DesertFox4
12-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Jay- you might look into an Ivo prop. Probably the lowest cost composite on the market, pretty efficient, durable and light weight.

I know Kitfox Aircraft is a dealer for Ivo.

I would make a call to Ivo for their recommendation for the right prop for your engine/gearbox combination.

beeryboats
12-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks. I think I have the C gearbox. I'll shop them today if I have a chance.

WWhunter
12-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I have a couple of props I have thought of selling.

I have a 2-blade Taper tip Warp Drive that looks like new. It only has a few hours on it. I removed it from a RANS S7 to install a 3-blade Whirl Wind. The Warp actually performed better than the Whirl Wind does, but I needed nickle leading edges due to going on floats and the Warp did not have them.

I also have the GSC that is on the Kitfox I just bought. You can read about it in other threads on here. The prop looks very good and has never been flown, only a couple of hours for test runs on the plane. As you said, I really like the look of the wood prop on the Kitfox, it just seems to fit the overall look of the plane moreso than the newer composite types. I was going to keep it on the Kitfox but just recieved another Whirl Wind so not going to use it.

I was able to get a new WhirlWind 75" STOL for a Christmas present that will be going on the RANS S7. I will be taking the current 70" WW off the RANS and installing it on the Kitfox. This leaves me with two spare props that I really don't need.

I will be driving through Indiana next week with my Kitfox in tow. If you might be interested in buying either of these props I might be able to bring it with and meet you if it is not out of my way. :)

Av8r3400
12-10-2014, 07:20 AM
(Jay has a two-stroke, which turns the opposite direction than your 912. These wouldn't work for him.)

WWhunter
12-10-2014, 07:23 AM
LOL....Gee, I wasn't even thinking. Maybe he needs to get a different engine then! ;)

beeryboats
12-10-2014, 07:25 PM
I did think of that in the beginning. I'm not to keen on the idea of a 2-stroke engine, but the conversion would be way too expensive.

Av8r_Sed
12-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Jay,
You can buy a new set of blades from GSC. It might be your least expensive option, though I don't really know their current pricing.

If you have a 3:1 gear ratio on the C box 582, IVO only recommends the two blade medium. That's what I'm running (70") and it works well, but it's a pretty high inertia prop which resulted in extremely rough idle. I eventually installed a RK400 clutch to resolve this issue.

Other people go ahead and run the three blade ultralight and are happy with it. It's just not recommended by the manufacturer.

beeryboats
12-11-2014, 06:38 PM
New wood blades are out of the question. IVO's website is a little vague. I was wondering the difference between the ultralight and medium props. I wonder why only two blades? And why was it so rough?

Here's my issue. The engine is going out for overhaul this weekend, I hope. And depending on what I hear from the shop will depend on what I need for a prop. If the engine is buildable, and the C gearbox is ok, I'll need a new (?) prop. But if the engine or gearbox or both is junk, I'll need a different prop. I assume the Bluehead takes a different prop??? I'm trying so hard to get this project back on schedule.

avidflyer
12-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi Jay, I sent you a private message. If you have a gray head 582 now, the blue head 582 can use the same prop unless you change gearbox ratios from one to the other. Jim Chuk

Av8r3400
12-11-2014, 06:58 PM
If I remember the story properly, in summary:

The two as opposed to three blades was recommended by Ivo due to their belief of a poor harmonic situation happening from the 3:1 gearbox in conjunction with the two cylinder engine. The ultralight would need three blades to efficiently use the hp of the engine, where the medium can handle it with only two.

Therefore Ivo says use a two blade medium, with a 582 and a 3:1 gearbox.

(Not to mention it costs more... :rolleyes:)

KFfan
12-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Jay
I've sent you a PM

Av8r_Sed
12-12-2014, 06:54 PM
And why was it so rough?

The IVO Medium is a fairly high inertia prop (in comparison to the IVO Ultralight or GSC). The two stroke motors are pretty torquey when they fire. The combination of the two, especially at low RPM, can cause strong vibration.

In theory, the IVO Medium should be fine, but I could not find the magic combination to get it to idle smoothly. The carb float valves would unseat and I'd get gas pouring out of the overflows onto the exhaust. Installing the clutch resolved the issue and got me in the air.

beeryboats
12-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Wow, that is a pretty good shake to overflow the carb bowls.

beeryboats
12-13-2014, 03:22 PM
I've been reading most of the old posts on Warp Drive and IVO props. A lot about stainless steel tape strips coming off the IVO props. I guess you spend the extra $ and buy the prop with the metal leading edges. I think I've decided on the IVO just because of the one turn twists all three blades at the same time. Now to decided between the three blade ultralight or the two blade medium. I like the idea of a shorter three blade as I fly off grass at home, and who knows where I may land...
Jay

Olle1975
12-16-2014, 03:50 AM
Here is a little video of mine from a Kitfox III with 582 and 68" 3 blade GSC with 18 degree pitch by round about 5800 rpm static.

For info, my IAS is circa 10 mph less than a PA18 and Kitfox IV which fly byside.

Gruß

Olaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD12Y_Fc2LE

beeryboats
12-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Great video!!! I need to go back and watch the rest you've made. I have not read through my log books in months, but I seem to remember the pitch on the prop is 17 degrees. The builder took great notes on performance at different settings. Due to its age and reputation, I'm moving on to a composite prop.

jeffcoaj
07-19-2015, 05:38 AM
I am building a new (old) kitfox 2, and this thread looked like the best thread to ask this question. I have a gsc 3 blade to install on a 582 C box. I have the bolts required for attaching the prop to the c box. My question is, I've read that 8M studs are needed (between bolts). It looks like these studs add to the shear strength of the prop to c box installation (to spin the prop). Where do I get these studs? Thanks.

07-19-2015, 09:24 PM
I run a 3 blade IVO 70" in-flight adj on my kitfox IV with a 582 grayhead and a C 3:1 gear box. I have used this prop since 1995. The only issue I have is needing to replace the motor that adjust the pitch every now and then.

Dick B in KY
07-20-2015, 05:17 AM
Try Lockwood Aviation in Florida.

Dick B

grdev
01-14-2016, 03:30 AM
Will a 60/40 prop two blade wooden Culver that came off a Rotax 447 work with the 582 on the Model 4?
Gil

avidflyer
01-14-2016, 07:49 AM
It will bolt on, but it's not near enough prop for an engine that is producing 1/3 more HP than it was meant to work with. The 582 would over rev, and an over reving two stroke engine will have very high EGT temps. The high EGT temps will melt the pistons. Short answer would have been no. Jim Chuk

grdev
01-19-2016, 05:46 PM
What are most people using for a prop on their 582 with B box?

grdev
04-21-2016, 03:03 AM
I'm very close to Leaf Aircraft, Lyons WI this week so thought I would pick up a prop for my project. Any suggestions for a model 3 with model 4 wings?

Av8r3400
04-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Warp Drive is probably the most popular. Very strong, economical and works very well.

TY2068
04-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Have you thought about swapping out for a C-Box that would enable more prop options and maybe a clutch ? I'm running 3:1 C with 72" GA Ivo medium and RK-400 clutch. My plane was being vibrated and shaken to pieces until I installed the clutch. Key bump start, low idle, fast warm up, glass smooth clutch engagement and painless shut-down.

grdev
04-22-2016, 01:53 PM
I really don't know all that much about the gear boxes,only one I had was on a Cessna 175. This two stroke thing is all new to me. Is there a large price difference?

TY2068
04-22-2016, 07:17 PM
About a $500 difference between a new B vs. C gearbox. I'm sure a good used or used rebuilt C could be found for much less than new ($1600). Maybe call Airscrew Performance or Rotax Rick. The C would allow you to use a longer two or 3 blade prop than with the B box. The RK-400 is $550.

http://www.air-techinc.com/topic_no_cats.php?ptid=1&pmid=1

TY2068
06-02-2016, 02:44 PM
I'm curious about your knowledge-experience with other props. Sounds like you've tried an assortment. Also have you used the RK-400 clutch ? I would like to have tried a Prince P-tip on my 582 C 3:1 but opted for an IVO 72" GA so I could easily dial in proper RPM's. The Prince props are fantastic props (600hrs behind them) but you need to know exactly what pitch and length you need. Even then if P-tip you get does not hit targeted RPM range you'll end up sending it back for adjustment. I didn't want to potentially go through a long delay waiting on a prop. It can take months.