PDA

View Full Version : Landing Light Mounting

jiott
12-07-2014, 10:21 PM
I am going to mount an Aeroled Microsun landing light in the nose of my SS7 cowl. I have seen them mounted just inside the center oval air inlet under the prop, with the mounting bracket fastened to the engine rather than the cowling. This method allows the cowl to be removed without disconnecting any wires, and the location in the air inlet has negligible affect on cooling I have been told.

I would like to see photos or details of the mounting bracket and how it attaches to the engine if anyone has done this and can share some details. I believe John McBeans plane has a landing light mounted like this; maybe he would share some info.

Micro Mong Bldr
12-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Mounted to the engine - I certainly would not do this with a halogen lamp, and it may beat the electronics in the light to death. Often when LED lamps fail it is something in the power supply rather than the LEDs. Mounted directly to the engine is surely high vibration.

AirFox
12-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Jim, You could mount your landing light to the bottom cowl with a plug that could be easily unplugged when you remove the top cowl before the bottom cowl comes off.

Scott.

Dorsal
12-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Jim, You could mount your landing light to the bottom cowl with a plug that could be easily unplugged when you remove the top cowl before the bottom cowl comes off.

Scott.

+1 this is what I did

jiott
12-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I suppose I will do it this way also, but first I am waiting for a reply to an email I sent John McBean asking how he did it and if he has had any problems with engine vibrations.

jiott
12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
John has responded that his landing light is mounted to the lower cowl, not the engine as I had thought. He has had no trouble with it. So I will be mounting mine the same way.

n85ae
12-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Here's my solution, which in addition to my wingtip lights, I personally (and humbly)
consider to be THE best lighting solution ever invented for a Kitfox.

Jeff Hays
N85AE Series 5/Continental IO-240B

n85ae
12-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Observant forum followers will recall I mostly use paper charts, not
electronics so I need the big Halogen light for night time pilotage ...

Jeff

GWright6970
12-21-2014, 08:22 PM
I am unable to mount my LED taxi and landing lights from Aircraft Spruce like Jeff did his, (I tried!) but my 912UL's radiator is blocking the use of a bar. I like Jeff's solution best...but it won't work for me.

I took some 1/8' aluminum bar stock, 2.5" wide and bent it...drilled some holes, anchored it with two AN4 bolts, and presto... This is structurally sound... it is not going anywhere.

These pictures were taken while I was assembling it.. the bracket nuts are NOT torqued down yet... I hope to finish the wiring tomorrow... I will use a couple of electrical wire ties to hold the disconnect plugs inside the aluminum "V"

Cheers, Grover

HansLab
12-21-2014, 11:19 PM
This is how I did my landingslights: molded in the lower frontcowling a tube in which a 12V halogeenbulb fitted. Bulb stays put with silicon-putty. Detachable wires, switch, fuse, ready. And no drag whatsoever....

KFfan
12-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Two very nice and clean solutions

overkillatv
12-30-2014, 05:16 PM
I want to put a landing light on my S7 tri gear. I was leaning toward the microsun. Does anyone have any experience with this particular landing light?

DesertFox4
12-30-2014, 05:19 PM
I've seen them on many Kitfox aircraft. Very bright lights. Great wig-wag feature that really makes you visible to other aircraft. They will be on my 7 Super Sport.

overkillatv
12-30-2014, 05:41 PM
I appreciate the feedback. Microsun it is:) I will make sure to post some after photos.