PDA

View Full Version : Routing of wing wiring

Tomfox
12-03-2014, 04:04 PM
I have two sets of wires coming off of the wing - LED landing lights and strobes. Each of these bundles can be threaded through the stringers. Any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks

Tom

War Eagle
12-03-2014, 04:18 PM
I ran mine down through the rear spar to make it easy to get into the cabin and in the case of folding the wings then I wouldn't have to unhook any wiring.

I also put the wires in a flexible conduit to protect from chaffing.

jiott
12-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I ran my wing wiring (and pitot tubing) thru the rear spars and prefer this method because:

It was easy to do.
Enters the cabin at precisely the right spot to minimize flex and pinching during wing folding.
Very simple for future repairs or inspection by pulling the wires out of the spar.
No problem of the wiring getting in the way of rib stitching.
I also did like war eagle and put the wiring inside of lightweight flex conduit to protect against chafing on edges and rivets.

Floog
12-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Just curious, Jim. How did you exit the spar with the pitot tubing? Did you fly today? It was great wx...

jiott
12-07-2014, 09:41 PM
It exited out the spar near the aft side, no problem, plenty of room. Since I have an AOA system there were actually two pitot tubes. The photo shows it, but the pitot tubing is kind of hard to see under the wiring.

No I didn't fly today but wished I could have. Had obligations.

Tomfox
12-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Good information and thanks. I followed your advice and used 1/2" drip tubing down the rear spar.

Thanks for the help

Tom

Floog
12-08-2014, 07:54 AM
So, Jim, you ran the pitot tubing all the way out the wingtip end of the rear spar then back midspan to the pitot tube? That's what I was wondering to begin with....

jiott
12-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Yes that is what I did. Seems like a long run, but that's what the book says to do and that is the way the factory does it. Seems to work just fine.

War Eagle
12-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I also installed and AOA pitot and ran my tubes out the end of the wing to enter the rear spar then into the cabin.

Here is a picture of the work in progress.