PDA

View Full Version : making bungees

vetdrem
11-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I am thinking about changing the bungees on my Model III. I could buy them from Kitfox or Highwing LLC, but was thinking about building my own.

Where is everyone sourcing the materials, and what problems will I run into.

Loue

High Country
11-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Aircraft spruce has bungee for this application, you can crimp the big aluminum nicopress' on if you have a tool or you can just wrap them with safety wire thats what I did. just make sure you pull the loops tight before wrapping them or they will pull when installed. here is some good info on making them, and a jig to pull the loops tight. http://avidflyer.wikia.com/wiki/Shock_Cord_Fabrication_and_Replacement

they are pretty easy to make and will save a lot of money
enjoy :)

avidflyer
11-30-2014, 06:00 PM
One thing I would recommend is to buy a bit extra of bungee cord. 2 or 3 feet so you will have 1 or 1 1/2 feet to hang onto when you are doing the last wraps on the bungees. When you finish the last wrap, loop it around where it hooks on, and tie off the loop with saftey wire while the other guy is holding the extra remaining bungee, then cut it off after you have tied the loop. It also helps to mark the bungee with a magic marker where each wrap should cross the seat truss. That way you know you've pulled enough for each wrap. Jim Chuk

vetdrem
11-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks for tips. I read the article that was suggested, and plan to follow it. the one thing that I am not sure of is the article calls for 3/8" shockcord, 90" long with 7 wraps. I think that the build manual for my Model III calls for 6 wraps, and I thought that they were 60" long.

Does anyone know for sure?

thanks, Louie

avidflyer
11-30-2014, 06:13 PM
The 90" dimention is about what an Avid Flyer would use, and the 60" is about what a Kitfox uses. Jim Chuk

High Country
11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks for tips. I read the article that was suggested, and plan to follow it.......

thanks, Louie

the manual was for the Avid not the Kitfox so the process is the same but the lengths/wraps will probably be different

[edi] Jim hit enter first :)

vetdrem
11-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought, but you always like some conformation.

Louie

t j
12-01-2014, 07:32 AM
The Kitfox bungees came in two different sizes. It just depended on what they had in stock when the kit was shipped. 3/8 X 66" long required 6 wraps. 5/16 X 90" long required 13 wraps.

I struggled when I installed my first set and again when I replaced them. A couple years ago Dave F posted his ax handle video right about the time a friend with a model 2 was struggling trying to install some bungees.

I cut a branch off a tree and whittled a wedge on the end. It worked great. Took about 10 minutes. The key I think is the tree was a Canadian Elm.

vetdrem
12-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I received the bungee materials, and followed the Avidflyer article about making them. I did it pretty much the way they suggested, except I used a vice to clamp the bungee material into a loop and a scissor jack to stretch the loop. They came out great. Now I just need to find a skilled helper to help me install them (are you listening, Ken).

Louie

ken nougaret
12-10-2014, 06:00 PM
If you can use an unskilled helper, text me.
Ken