PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Relief Tube

Esser
11-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Not that anyone advertises this, but has anyone rigged anything up? Used a venturi? Tips and tricks?

I have no shame in saying I plan on installing one haha. I jsut have two criteria. No stains, and no icing.

Esser
11-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Haha might streak a bit. I was thinking of running it into the exhaust to create a negative pressure that ejects 6" below the fuselage and is hopefully evaporated by the high heat. Insert a valve so there are no fumes.

rv9ralph
11-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Funny story.. I went to a concert at a County Fair to hear Roy Clark. Surprised that to introduce him his buddy Chuck Yeager walked on stage. Roy told a story about when Gen. Yeager took him for a ride in the back of a P-51. Roy had to use the relief tube. To shorten the story, yellow ice was involved.

n85ae
11-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Gatorade bottles, and a lot of caution trying to keep the plane under
control and not get wet pants ... That's what I use. I have often though
about the venturi idea. It isn't far fetched, the Grumman E-2C's I worked
on in the navy had a system for exactly that. With a relief tube at the pilot/copilot seats.

The Gatorade bottle system works better in summer than winter, since
here near Chicago means multiple layers of clothes, which complicates
things ...

Jeff

Paul Z
11-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't know , living in Texas and flying this 110 degree summer days, maybe the guy that T J knows in the Jeep may have the right idea!
Humm warm water :eek:
No never mind dumb statement! :D

jiott
11-15-2014, 08:30 PM
What about the "Travel John" from Sportys? I have some in my fox but have not had the need to use one yet. Its like a zip lock bag but with a highly absorbant get inside; so no problem in case of punctures. Anybody tried these?

kitfox2009
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi guys
After doing bracky therapy for prostate cancer quite a few of my flights would be rather short without some method of relief. Probably quite a few of us old guys can relate to this.
Anyway I installed a relief tube beside the stick. Use a "little john " and for longer flights dump down the tube. Takes some practice but better than the other option! !
So far go problem with smell or stains. Have not used it in freezing conditions.
This thread may go on for a while.
You do what you gotta do
Have fun
Don ..

HighWing
11-15-2014, 10:13 PM
I don't know if this will be helpful or not. I have thought about the relief tube for a long time but never quite figured it out.

I had an opportunity not long ago to help a guy who was severely injured in an automobile accident - paralyzed from mid chest down. He uses an external or "condom" catheter. The picture in your mind is the 1000 words. I checked them out on line and they come in various configurations from daily use types to some that have an adhesive attachment for multi-day use. Be aware, though, if you do a search, the next time you are on your favorite sports site, that will be the pop up ad that will greet you.:eek:

I think if I wanted to try something like this, I would figure out how to connect it to a tube that ran down the gear leg - ending pointed aft.

rv9ralph
11-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Remember... the longer the tube, the slower the flow. Can you say, back pressure!!!.

Paul, you were earlier complaining about auto correct. I read a complaint about it that read: "Auto Correct is my Worst Enema", think about it!

Ralph
KFIII

n85ae
11-16-2014, 08:37 AM
I ended up carrying a
coffee can to drop the used bags in. I eventually settled on using Gatorade
bottles instead. Not the easiest to use in flight in a Kitfox, but they work,
and they're cheap.

Jeff

Esser
11-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought about going to the tail wheel but in cruise that would an uphill slope or close to it. Also, more potential for freezing.

I thought about a tube going down the gear leg. Also icing issues.

I have done the Gatorade bottles and johnnys before and I want to get away from this as I can pee up to 5 times on a 5 hour leg of I'm staying hydrated. If I have to stop ever hour and a half it makes my average speed well below my cruise speed.

If I can stay airborne for 5 hours, then I could be just as fast on average as something that goes 140kts who stops to pee once on the trip.

I just want a simple system that when you are done you can flush with a bit of water and there is no smell. I think the simpist way to this is as I mentioned before, some how using the exhaust to keep it from freezing and having it as far below the fuselage as possible. The hot air may instantly vaporize it as well.

desertfox1
11-16-2014, 11:58 AM
While living in Hawaii I had a friend that flew a Super Cub for fish spotting.
Low power settings and big tanks allowed him to fly for hours. His relief
Tube was simple, piece of garden hose and a modified funnel. He developed a serious recurring infection. His Dr traced the source to the funnel. Daily
Disinfecting cured the problem.

Phil

n85ae
11-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Simple as making tinker toys ... I'd put the venturi on the gear leg just inside
the wheel ...

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/pilot-shop/pilot-relief.html (http://www.chiefaircraft.com/pilot-shop/pilot-relief/ac-41a9177.html)