PDA

View Full Version : Installing Rudder

randyjuen3
06-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Just completed fitting (not bonded) the tail speed fairing. As I mounted the rudder, I found the deflection of the rudder to hit the stops well after the rudder has moved past the elevator (not covered, rudder would colide with elevator if covered).

Instructions say the bottom rod end should be adjusted to span 2 5/16" between vertical rudder tube and vertical square tube. Thinking that moving closer to the rudder stops would help, move the distance down to 2 3/8" which decreased rudder deflection, but still exceeds 30 degrees.

To top things off the instructions mention filing the stops to increase deflection which suggests that the factory assumes less deflection out of the box.

If I continue to crank the rod end in more, the fibergass farining + fabric + coatings will touch. The only solution is to remove the farings, sand down the ribs, crank in the rod end and reinstall the farings. Doing this will put me closer to a 2" spacing, not the 2 5/16" the manual suggests.

Anyone run into this issue and have a fix?

Dave S
06-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Randy,

Check a couple of things here.

1) Are you sure about the 30 Degrees R & L? There should be two mutually exclusive sets of instructions in the manual for fitting the rudder - one for the airfoiled tail and one for the flat sided tail. If you have the airfoiled tail, the specification should be 25 degrees R & L, unless something has changed between the design of the S 7 and the Super sport.

2) FYI - I have the airfoiled tail - without any filing of the rudder stops; and, with the spacing set at the bottom to 2 5/16 (and 1 1/2 at the top) my rudder went over 30 degrees Right & Left and interfered with the elevator - that was without removing any material.

3) I needed to add material to reduce the swing, didn't need to file the stops, to make it work out. It isn't all that easy to add to the stops; so, I fabricated a couple small "L" shaped pieces to bond & rivet to the pad on the rudder arms which meet the stops. My rudder adjusted to 26 1/2 degrees with a gap between the rudder and elevator at the closest point of 3/8 inch. I felt 3/8 inch clearance was adequate; and, an extra 1 1/2 degree of rudder swing isn't a bad thing anyway.

If you want - contact me off line - I have some flexibility tomorrow.;)

Dave S
St Paul;, MN

Mark
06-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Hi randy,
If you are using the airfoiled rudder, your stops should be set at 25 degrees, not 30. (Refer to Appendix B in the Fuselage section.) In order to achieve this, I have formed a "U" piece of stainless and bonded it to the stop tabs at 25 degrees.