PDA

View Full Version : Avmap EKP V

WWhunter
11-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Anyone using one? Thoughts? Reason for the question is I have an older EKP IV that has been a really good unit but I somehow lost the data card and a new one is $200. To be honest I can not see paying that much for something that is quite a few years old. I got an email today with a 'holiday special' pricing for trade in towards the newer EKP V. $650 and my unit for the new one. I know most of you use the ipad but in my opinion I prefer a designated GPS unit.
Nothing wrong with my IV other than the lost card so maybe I should just spend the $200 and keep what I have.

War Eagle
11-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I fly with the AvMap EKP IV.

Mounted in my dash.

Like it really well. It seems easy to use and have had no problems with it.

It is very functional and updates in SW are free so it is very current for all my flying needs.

My vote would be to spend the $200.

(are you sure the data card is not still in the unit in the plane?)

(what format is your data card?)

WWhunter
11-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Free updates? How the heck did you get that? I think it was $35/mo or some such amount. I hadn't done mine in quite awhile since I used it in my floatplane and new maps sure weren't of any use to me....unless someone decided to move a lake. ;) Sold that plane and took the GPS out. I removed the card, I think it is a 'CF' and brought it along to Oshkosh hoping they (AvMap) could update the maps for me. I am not a computer friendly guy. Well, to make a short story long. Got home and I can't find the data card. I am thinking I may have taken something out of my pocket at Oshkosh and the card was accidently pulled out at the same time.

I will say I was happy with the AvMap. I like the clarity and size of the screen along with ease of use. The only issue I had was the toggle button had to be pushed in one of the directions extremely hard for it to move the cursor.

War Eagle
11-05-2014, 09:31 PM
I said SW (software) updates are free. They are free at the AvMap web site. That covers all bug fixes and updates for new feature add ons etc.

Chart updates are the ones that cost you the subscription fee.

Sending you a pm to follow up.