PDA

View Full Version : New member Intro

KFfan
10-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Hello all. I completed ground school this spring and want to get my SP ticket. I searched ALL summer for an affordable Kitfox to use as a trainer. The closest facility to me with a LSA for training is about 65 miles distant. I don't know when I decided I HAD to have a Kitfox but I did. I finally found a decent one about two weeks ago. It is currently in the warehouse where I work. I want to get to know this Beauty intimately before I get a waiver to use it for my SP training. I've been lurking on this and the Avid forum for some time. I have certainly gleaned a great deal of knowledge from those forums. Thank you all for an education and your thoughts. Lou

jiott
10-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the Kitfox family.
Is it a taildragger or tri-gear? Which model? I started my pilot (Sport) training in a T/D Kitfox with Stick & Rudder in Boise. Its not the easiest plane for a brand new pilot to learn in, but it is very satisfying to get that tailwheel endorsement in a high performance STOL machine like the Kitfox.

Good luck with your training.

Paul Z
10-22-2014, 02:55 PM
A tail dragger Kitfox is a lot easier to land than a Cessna 120 of a J3 Cub! Much more forgiving!

KFfan
10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks jiott!
Yep, I went into this with eyes WIDE open. I'm not a spring chicken and have gained a LOT of moxy over the decades...
It is the second incantation of the Kitfox with a 582 Gray head and about 255 hours TT. It became airworthy in 2000. I believe I am the 6th owner. Makes me think "why did they all bail on it". Perhaps it didn't meet their expectations.:eek: I just want to putz about in the sky and take in the world from a different perspective. I have lived with the fishes and now hope to soar with the Eagles.

KFfan
10-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi Paul
I'm always open to new challenges!

Dorsal
10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Welcome, the more the merrier :)

KFfan
10-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks Dorsal!

Kurt.A
10-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Welcome Lou.
Glad to have you aboard. I too am a new member and have the utmost respect for the members on this site. The learning curve is steep and well guided.

Av8r3400
10-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Welcome KFfan-Lou!

I moved the tail wheel discussion to its own thread so as to not hijack your intro thread any fisher!

Again, I bid you welcome. Read, learn, contribute and enjoy our little corner of the internet! You'll be Kitfox-ing before you know it!!

KFfan
10-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Fisher?
I'm old enough that I don't bite on much of anything. :D

Glad you split it. A great deal of valuable insight was divulged.

Av8r3400
10-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Dam spell checker... :rolleyes:

HILBILI
10-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Welcome KFfan! I just bought mine in June. I'm having a blast. Still amazed every time I fly with the STOL capabilities!

I am about to teach my son how to fly in my Kitfox.

Jesse
10-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Hey folks i'm new to the site and also the Kit Fox. I recently bought My grandfathers Kit Fox 5 (Rotax uls, tail drager) that he built back in 1996. As a kid i helped him build it in his garage years ago and now that he can no longer fly he offered to sell it to me. I hope to post pictures of it soon. I will try to figure out the forum and make my way trough

Paul Z
10-29-2014, 09:18 PM
KFfan, & Jesse,

Remember a Good Landing is one you walk away from. I have had Many good landings that were awfully ugly, but I lived, and have learned. Remember there are :eek: landings, :confused: landings, and every now and then :cool: landing. I personal can not imagine trying to learning to fly starting in a TD. On my way back from Idaho after getting my plane converted to a tail Dragger, and getting 15 hours refresher in TD T/O & Landing? I did several (pat myself on my back) beautiful landings, one at Promosory Point, a gravel runway, one at Ogdan Utah, then I crossed the Rockies, I landed in Cortez Colorado, 17 MPH diect Cross wind, the god awfulest landing ever. :eek::eek::eek: is the best way to describe it. So be patient, have fun, and welcome to the group. Oh and good luck!

rbsj3
11-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Hey Lou; I sold the little John Deere Kitfox because of illness, I am now recovering from amputation of my left leg. I was so sick I sold it so my wife wouldn't have to deal with it. But now I am doing so well I almost wish I hadn't sold it. It flew very well. nicely balanced. 19 of the hours on it were actually due to the master being left on over night while getting it's conditional done by Murle Williams in Phoenix. So there is some leeway there. Good luck with the little plane, I really enjoyed it.

KFfan
11-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the post Bob.
I sent you a PM