PDA

View Full Version : G3x

Flybyjim
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Anyone installed the G3X and/or have time behind this glass? I was very impressed with this unit at Oshkosh this year. After spending a couple of hours in Garmin's tent watching others and than talking with Garmin's guys I would buy this unit if I was at that stage of the build. I like the visibility of the screen, clarity of the screen and not so many buttons. Anyway, I would like to hear the good, bad and ugly.
Jim

Dorsal
10-19-2014, 07:05 PM
I am a big fan of the 696 which is very similar (I believe they are variations of the same components), very usable interface and no problems seeing the screen. If I were building today I would probably go in that direction.

PapuaPilot
10-19-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I plan to put the G3X in my plane, but I'm not there yet. I spent half a day at Oshkosh talking to the Garmin guys and sitting in the seminar.

I have flown with the G1000 and it seems the G3X is the same and maybe even better.

dcsfoto
10-21-2014, 12:37 PM
put the G3X in my Glastar a few years back.

starting a S7 in spring and it will have one also love it.

Pilot4Life
10-25-2014, 09:06 PM
FlybyJim,

I have spent about 200 hrs with a 696 as a backup for SA. Great product with database capabilities of two older _96's.... The split screen capability is a great feature too! Wouldn't hesitate to use one in a fox, though when I build/buy my (emphasis on the WHEN) Kitfox, it'll be a basic day/night VFR panel with a 496 type/size of GPS to keep me out of those "R####" places. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.