PDA

View Full Version : 13 gallon tank dimensions

LSaupe
10-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Is there a quick way to determine the capacity of a set of fiberglass wing tanks in a Model III (13 vs 6 gal)? I am assuming a length measurement or maybe number of ribs?

cap01
10-19-2014, 10:25 PM
the length of the 6 and 13 gallon tanks will be the same ,the width is where the difference is . they have to fit between the front and rear spars . the 6 gallon tank fits in the first bay between the first and second rib . the 13 gallon tank takes up two bays , the second rib is not required and the tank is between the first and third ribs.

LSaupe
10-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks Chuck

sturdee
10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Hi just a quick point, converting the wing from 6 to13 gallon tank may require
Relocation of the diagonal spar braces, I bet a dollar there' out! Take a look at the drawings for rib layout and assembly! Fortunately the whole wing was needing recovering so a lot of work relocating braces! Good luck

cap01
10-20-2014, 10:19 PM
that is correct , a brace does have to be shortened and moved a bay outboard . the fitting that attaches the brace to the spar will then be at the incorrect angle for the shortened brace and another will have to be fabricated with the correct angle . i think there are some pictures in my albums of this since I've installed 13 gal tanks in both wings .