PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded tail feathers on Model III to Model IV 1200

LSaupe
10-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi All:

I would like to upgrade the tail feathers on my Model III to Model IV-1200 with electric trim.

Anyone have with experience with this change? I "assume" the elevator would be a direct bolt on?

Rudder would need to relocate connecting bushings and overall height of the vertical stab to match?

Larry S.

SkySteve
10-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Larry,
Sent you a PM

Marsh33
01-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Hi all,

(Restarting an old thread here) How did this work out? Is it possible to put the model 4 parts with trim on the model 3?

Cheers, Marsh

LSaupe
01-31-2019, 03:29 AM
Worked great. You need to modify the attach points for the Model 4 rudder and increase the height of the vertical stab. Instead of purchasing a new elevator, I increased my cord by 3" and added an electric trim tab kit from Lowell Fitt.

Marsh33
01-31-2019, 03:32 AM
Thanks! I don't suppose you have some photos?

LSaupe
01-31-2019, 03:41 AM
Yep, have a bunch. PM with some contact info and I will get them to you.

LSaupe
01-31-2019, 03:44 AM
Some here:

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=415

Some here:

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=450

Mark Mills
02-01-2019, 10:17 PM
I'm jumping in here with more questions😀.
What is the chord of your trim tab?
More info on the Lowell Fritt kit. A quick search did not turn up any useful information.
Any comments on functionality of the trim tab? Do you like the way it works, is controlled, resolution??

Thanks. I'm working on an unfinished IV kit and think I want to add the electric trim.

avidflyer
02-01-2019, 10:57 PM
I'm rebuilding a Kitfox 4, and added a trim tab to it. Here are some pictures of what I did. JImChuk

LSaupe
02-02-2019, 05:50 AM
I'm jumping in here with more questions😀.
What is the chord of your trim tab...

Hi Mark:

Unfortunately I do not have any of those details anymore. Not sure Lowell still offers the kit, but you could always contact him (he is on this site). It did work fabulously though. Bird was sold a while back so no longer can obtain info.

HighWing
02-02-2019, 09:30 AM
I've been reading and thought I should drop a note. I never throw anything away which proves the challenge of finding anything. I will check to see what tooling is available and will report if I can be of help with trim tab parts. For those that might be interested, the kit will require some welding and trimming to fit, of the parts sent. More later.

HighWing
02-02-2019, 12:50 PM
I found the tooling. Back in the day we offered two options and I will go with that today as well. Parts only, minus parts available through Aircraft Spruce. I provide - Servo cover, servo attachment tabs and formed trim tab. With these parts, it will require trimming of the steel parts and trim tab, welding of the modifications to the horizontal stabilizer and assembly. Or I can do the complete modification which would require shipping the elevator here and return. I am attaching a PDF of the installation instructions for your perusal. 21563

Send a private message for more information.