PDA

View Full Version : Landing gear specs for Kitfox 2

17joel17
10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
I busted up my landing gear in a farmers field on an engine failure this summer, and have the gear in a welding shop for repair. They have asked me for the original manufacture specs or even better a schematic drawing as they want to ensure its fixed properly.

I'm the third owner on my Kitfox and can't find a parts drawing to save my life in my binders inherited from the original owner, nor can i find it online.

its the standard tubular weldment for a tail dragger setup.

does anyone have one handy they could scan or take a picture of and post here by chance?

thanks a bunch if you can!!!

Av8r3400
10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
You won't find (anywhere) engineering drawings of the landing gear. That is proprietary Kitfox information. Plans were never offered for sale.

Your best bet to get proper landing gear would be to replace them with a new or an undamaged used set.

17joel17
10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Crap. Not the answer i hoped for, but glad to have an answer to go from. Thanks for the quick reply.

Jono
10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
I wonder if Kitfox sell new ones... I know that they sell many parts for older models (wing ribs etc)...

17joel17
10-08-2014, 07:30 PM
They do. Thats the good news. Debra quoted me $475 a piece, will powdercoat to the colour of your choice. Im frustrated, the damage is pretty minor and i thought itd be an easy weld job. Oh well, new parts are best. Whats another grand .... Lol ...... Sigh

Jblanton
10-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Before you buy the new gear, post a picture of the gear damage if you can. Someone here can help you. Look at chapter 4 of AC 43.13

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC43.13-1b.pdf

Jono
10-08-2014, 07:52 PM
I totally know where you're coming from...we discovered cracks in the engine mount the other week...... engine out, re-welded, re-powder coated, Rotax hose-kit (while we're at it), new coolant, rubber engine shocks etc..... The welding is the easy part, it is the down time that sucks.....

17joel17
10-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks :)

17joel17
10-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Snapped the shock cord holder off the left side, and broke a corner weld on the other.

avidflyer
10-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Post a want add on the various Kitfox, Avid sites and Barnstormers and you should turn up some used or unused gear. Lot of guys have changed to Grove gear or the newer spring bush gear and no longer need their stock gear. I think the Kitfox gear is the same as the earlier Avid gear (before the MK IV which is taller). I actually have a set of Avid gear for a C model but I'm not sure I want to part with them. I saw a person on the Yahoo groups with a bunch of Avid stuff that he was giving away. Had one taildragger gear leg and one tricycle gear leg in the bunch of stuff. That was just 2 or 3 days ago. The gear is out there waiting for you to find it. Jim Chuk

17joel17
10-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Thanks Jim. Great idea

avidflyer
10-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Just thought of another thing, there is a guy that built a bush spring gear for his plane and detailed what material he used and had pictures of how he did it. That info got transferred to the AvidFoxFlyers forum. I think the thread was titled Homemade bush gear. I started that thread if I remember right. You probably can find the thread if you do a search for it there. Jim Chuk

PS just went there and checked and you will find the thread it you do the search the way I said.

Greensuiter86
10-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Just a word of caution about taking things to a welding shop... a buddy of mine GL'd his Skyraider II and folded the right gear under the plane. Sent it to a welding shop for repair just to have it fail while taxiing by hitting a bump in the tarmac (at the expense of a prop strike). If you have an awsome welder that specializes in TIG/Heliarc then probably no issue, but I'm in line with protecting my investment and forking out the bones for a new or used replacement set. Though I have been known to fab a few non-critical odds and ends from time to time myself ;-) fwiw.

Jay Phelps
N627C

P Morel
10-09-2014, 07:34 AM
I have a right gear packed away in my hanger off a Kitfox 2 or 3. I can only caution you that the walls on the tubing is a little thinner than a 4. Let me know if this is one you can use. PM me.

tommg13780
10-09-2014, 09:13 AM
I had a similar mishap with my model 2 and was able to acquire a nice set of model 4 bungee gear. They fit fine and difference is they stand about 4" taller thus increasing belly clearance. If you get a chance to pick up a set of mod 4 gear legs make sure you get both sides.

P Morel
10-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Here's a picture of the right bungee gear. I'm sure the color is a close match :D

skyraidertom
10-10-2014, 05:37 AM
I have a complete set of gear from a kitfox IV 1050 gross weight that has never been used also a set of never installed bungies. The gear is powder coated yellow.

Greensuiter86
10-11-2014, 04:10 PM
If 17joel17 doesn't want them, what do you want for them sky raider?

17joel17
10-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Sky raider i do want them. PM me. What are you looking to get for them, and where abouts are you (where would you be shipping from) ?

skyraidertom
10-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Joel, I sent a private message
Tom

avidflyer
10-11-2014, 06:16 PM
A guy just posted a set of nosewheel gear legs plus the nose wheel gear on the Avid yahoo group. Cheap price also in my opinion. Jim Chuk

High Country
10-13-2014, 06:17 AM
I have a spare set covered with fairings and painted white with stewarts. I was originally planning to keep them for a spare but if someone could put them to better use I would be willing to sell them for what I have into them. just shoot me a message. although I would recommend spending more money and getting a wider gear but if that's not in the cards I totally understand.

-Robert-

Dave F
10-14-2014, 03:20 AM
you can buy a used set likely.

welder repair should be an experienced weld with thin wall 4130 experience

oxy/acet or tig acceptable

original gear was most likely MIG welded.

mod 4 gear was approx 50% thicker tubing. then early ones.