PDA

View Full Version : IVO IFA retro

HansLab
10-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi, I' m currently discussing the benefits of an IFA retrokit for my Ultralight prop (912 UL, IV Speedster): what actually ARE the pro's please?
I can think of some con's, myself (weight, techniques, pilot's attention).
How many fuel did you save? How much vaster was she, actually?
Thanks for the info.

DesertFox4
10-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Hans- there is not enough weight difference between the in-flight adjustable hub and the ground adjustable hub for the ultra-light prop to keep you from switching.
As far as pilot distraction- If you mount the control switch right next to the
throttle you don't have to look down to adjust pitch. It soon becomes second nature to adjust pitch during any portion of the flight by monitoring your tachometer for rpm changes.

Pros-
You can pitch the prop for max take off performance. Getting 5800 rpms on take off roll will get you in the air quicker and give you a better climb rate. You will finally see what your aircraft's maximum take off performance really is. It will be the first time you get to your engines maximum horsepower. It will also be better for your engine. You will not be "lugging" your engine so much during take off at lower rpms.

You will see approx. 10 to 15 mph higher cruise speeds than with fixed pitch prop. However that really depends on where you set your ground adjustable prop now, either for climb or cruise. Usually pilots set a ground adjustable prop somewhere between optimal climb and optimal cruise.

Fuel usage may be a little harder to quantify but you are flying the 912UL 80 hp. Rotax so you are already seeing very low fuel use at any rpm setting.

Cons: Here in the USA if you mount an in-flight adjustable prop on your aircraft, then fly it, your aircraft instantly becomes disqualified from ever flying under Sport Pilot flight rules again.

kmach
10-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi,
You will probably get allot of answers to your questions, lots of people have the particular exact setup you are asking about !

I personally have experience with the 912 uls and a medium IFA IVOPROP.

I first had a two blade sensenich EZ pitch ground adjustable , which was a nice prop, but hearing of the IFA setup others had, I decided to go to it.

I saw a 3 blade medium IVO ground adjustable for sale and bought it, set it up and adjusted it to my liking, I like how easy they are to adjust. I set it for just under 5300 rpm on take off roll, it gave me around 95 + mph IAS cruise .

I then refitted the IVO with the IFA kit , now you can set it on the go, to have the full 5800 rpm on take off for the best climb your ever going to get !

Then when levelling off you coarse the pitch , adjust the throttle, for cruise performance , this is up to you how much you want to stress the engine , I use the rotax's recommended MAP and rpm setting or close to it. I see 110 IAS at 5300 rpm 26" MAP and fuel burn of 4.8 US gal / hr .

You could think of it this way, a car transmission with only one gear or a 5 speed transmission with overdrive , it lets you use most of the engine power for different uses.

I also notice I can change engine temps with how I set the MAP and pitch, for example the EGT's . IF I have the pitch a little fine the front two egt's read higher than the rear two egt's, I can add more pitch and make them even, add more pitch and the rear egt's will go higher than the front egt numbers !

I think if you already have an Ivoprop and your regulations allow an IFA prop, then go for it !

dginok
10-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I've been curious if anyone has tried Aeroelectric Bob's current limiter device with their IFA IVOProp:

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Schematics/IVO-Prop_Pitch_Controller.pdf

kitfox2009
10-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi all
I can only speak to the ULTALIGHT IVO IFA PROP.I have had mine on a kitfox Vixen since 2010. In 350 hours I have had to change the carrier in the planetary, the screw assembly, and a few brushes. I now carry a ground adjustable plate and tools with me at all times.
Through the past 4 years I have reduced the amount of in flight adjusting significantly in order to extend the life of these components. These little planetary gears and motor are very small and I believe not really up to the task for using an electronic device which may attempt adjustments continually.
Having said all that I would not go back to a ground adjustable prop again unless there were no other options.
Actually the motor seems to have died on mine just yesterday so I went back to GA until parts arrive. Just got of the phone now. New motor will ship today at 160 dollars. I am OK with that.
I flew yesterday and set the GA for 5100 static giving 5500+straight level. It's OK but not nearly as good as getting 5800 immediately on TO with the ifa.
As a side note I did not install the limiting washers and have never had the circuit breaker trip.I put the toggle switch just left of the throttle with right for fine and left for coarse. Easy to operate with your finger or thumb with hand on throttle shaft.
Good luck with your prop decision
Cheers
Don

av8rps
10-13-2014, 07:30 PM
I have my IVO IFA ultralight prop on my 80 hp 912ul set to its limits by using the limiting washers, which I think is VERY important. That way when the prop adjustment hits its limits, even if you stay on the switch, it blows the breaker. (Which can be reset in seconds). I believe that does a lot to reduce wear and tear on the prop motor, gears, as well as your aircraft's engine (keeps you from overspeeding the engine - which can be a very big, costly mistake).

My early IVO ul IFA went through gears and motors, but if you use the latest version they offer, they hold up better. I believe the motors are larger, more durable.

I've been curious if anyone has tried Aeroelectric Bob's current limiter device with their IFA IVOProp:

dginok
10-14-2014, 07:00 AM
My IVO Medium IFA is still collecting dust in the back room, so my knowledge is limited.

I read about Bob's circuit on the Aeroelectric list, and thought it would be a nice addition. It seems a better mechanism than allowing the breaker to blow -- green light :D while you are adjusting pitch, yellow light :) when the circuit cuts off the juice due to limit being reached.

It retains the circuit breaker, just in case.

I put the circuit together awhile ago and did a little bench test with the IVO motor. Seems to work nicely. I need to package it up yet and figure out where to mount it and the LEDs.

av8rps
10-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Yes, I do like that system as it makes sense to have something like that when using an electric IFA. But seeing that I can't seem to find enough time to fly, or to modify my airplane, I'll just keep using what IVO told me to as it seems to work pretty good.

However, I will admit if that were available already built I'd probably consider adding one.