PDA

View Full Version : S7 options - can't find answers

TahoeTim
10-04-2014, 03:07 PM
What is:
Speedster tail
Bottom false ribs
Pre fab kit

I'm ready to place my order and will build it with the UL350is to give the punch I need up here in Tahoe. I don't know if I need the above options given I will have 130 hp (less altitude losses) and flying under LSA.

Tim

Dave S
10-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Tim,

Deborah & John can fill you in on specifics - particularily what is included in the prefab kit; however, the three items you are asking about are pretty standard.

The speedster tail is a set of intercoastal ribs which give the tail an airfoiiled shape rather than a flat/slab sided style like you would have on a piper cub. I have flown both and prefer the rudder feel with the speedster tail.

The bottom false ribs go on the bottom of the wing and extend part way back from the front spar between each of the main ribs......the idea with these is to better maintain the correct airfofol shape of wing under flight loads.

The prefab kit, as I understand it, includes a lot of the small parts that you would normally cut, fabricate, etc from supplied materials if you didn't get the prefab kit......a time saver in construction....I did not get this option as I rather enjoy making up the small parts.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912 ULS Warp

rocketman2tm
10-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi Tim,

I'm currently building a super sport that i bought in 2012 and checked all of those options.

The speedster tail kit consists of wooded ribs for the rudder and vertical stabilizer. The horizontal stabilizer and elevator already have airfoils. The alternative to this is to just cover the vertical tail surfaces flat. Aesthetically, I like the looks of the tail with the speedster kit better. I obviously cannot speak to how it flies with this, but supposedly the rudder response is better and you'll probably get a knot or two.

The bottom false ribs help keep the shape of the bottom wing fabric. Once again, I can't attest to how it flies with this, but I know it will look better. One thing to keep in mind is if you order the bottom false ribs and the quick build wing, the factory will install almost all of these for you.

The prefab kit consists of a number of prefab parts that help speed assembly. Some of the parts in the kit are different than the parts that you have to make if you don't buy the kit. I personally think that the parts in the kit are better than I could make them. You will also probably want access to a mill if you're going to make these.

I looked at the ul engine as well. In the end I went with the 912is sport. I think you will be happy with your engine as well.

Hope this helps

John

Esser
10-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I also checked all these options. The prefab kit is completely worth the money in my opinion. It saves you countless hours and saves you from buying tools to get the pieces properly made.

I really wanted to go with UL but we found a deal on a 914 that was too good to pass up.

TahoeTim
10-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone, I have a handle on it now. I picked every option except the nose wheel and passenger brakes. $27k !!!:eek:

rocketman2tm
10-05-2014, 07:29 PM
That sounds about right for price, as long as the wife approves.:eek:

TahoeTim
10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
The wife is good to go...she's a keeper.

Danh
10-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Order up!!!
Congratulations on a great pick,

DesertFox4
10-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Congrats Tim.:D

TahoeTim
10-07-2014, 05:00 PM
It's official !

They took my money today:) bye bye $27k, $70k here we come.

Options:
powder coat
quick build wing
speedster tail
bottom ribs
adjustable rudder pedals
prefab kit
tinted windshield
bubble doors
cargo bay kit
wing strut fairings

rosslr
10-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Great decision Tim! Now the excitement of the big box arriving! you wont regret it and the nice part is that you stagger the purchase of the other parts. Best to leave the avionics and engine as long as possible anyway as things are developing rapidly in those areas. looking forward to pics of the build! Where are you going to build it Tim?

cheers

Ross
Mt Beauty
OZ

DesertFox4
10-07-2014, 05:51 PM
That's great news Tim.:) Best of luck with the build and I hope you enjoy every part of that process. When complete, you'll have the airplane that you and most everyone else dreams about flying.

TahoeTim
10-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I am excited. I will be going to Copperstate to take a ride in a kitfox. This is my third build and I have a giant 48ft hangar and an empty 2 car garage that I will use for build space. I will build it here in Lake Tahoe. I still have my Zenith 601 with a Jab 3300 and recently sold my Bakeng Deuce with a Rotec radial. (I split them and got more money).

I will probably go Dynon again and have decided on the UL350 engine but yes, I will wait on both for a few months.

The weather will turn nasty soon but I've been there before LOL. I find it peaceful to hide out in my hangar during a snow storm.

SkySteve
10-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I am excited. I will be going to Copperstate to take a ride in a kitfox.
You can get a ride in a SS7 if you go to Copperstate? I'm in. Never had a ride in one. I'm gonna be there for sure. I'll see all you "big plane" guys there. :p

rosslr
10-07-2014, 06:14 PM
With your experience and facilities I imagine progress will be quick Tim! By the way, do you know that the factory that makes the Jab 3300 has released their own version of that engine - the Camit 3300 - with a whole host of mods that address the issues that arisen with Jabs over the years. I only mention this as it is a considerable prices point difference between that and the Rotax.
912is and UL Power 350is.

Anyway, have fun and looking forward to seeing pic of progress.

Ross
Mt Beauty
OZ

DesertFox4
10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Look forward to meeting you Tim at CopperState. Hopefully our weather will be nice for the event. Usually is.

Sounds like you have the needed space to build and then some.

And SkySteve- glad to hear you'll be attending.:)

Paul Z
10-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I personally wouldn't build one without the false ribs or the speedster tail. The speedster tail will give the tail feathers more authority for landing. The false ribs add to the airfoil and may effect the stall speed.

TahoeTim
10-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I was promised a ride from the factory. Maybe the offer is only good for new customers ;)

I knew about the Camit deal and I really like my Jabiru with the Rotec carb. The issue is my location. I take off at 6500 ft, climb to 9500 ft to leave the lake, and then literally drop to sea level if I go West. All that can happen in 30 minutes. It's takes a lot of mixture attention and care to avoid carb ice. I want to try a FADEC engine this time. I just can't wrap my head around the Rotax. The extra HP with the UL350 will be welcomed at my altitude.

I'm looking forward to checking out the vendors and planes at the show.

SkySteve
10-07-2014, 09:09 PM
I was promised a ride from the factory. Maybe the offer is only good for new customers

Tim, you could be right about that but I'm coming anyway. Maybe someone will take pity on the pitifull. ;)

rosslr
10-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Wow! That's an interesting departure procedure Tim! I am interested in your choice of the UL as I am approaching decision time myself about an engine and have been reading other posts here about the Rotax and Ul engines. Hope you don't mind me asking but am interested to know if you considered just the horsepower or also considered the torque of the engines for your purpose?? There appears to be a lot of discussion about the available HP at 'practical' rpm and the experience of old timers on this site about the Kitfoxes liking torque to drive big props - but I am no expert on this and just learning my way into it!

cheers

ross
Mt Beauty
OZ

TahoeTim
10-07-2014, 09:27 PM
You know, I did look at torque too. The correct prop is key. I have a ground adjustable Sensenich on my 601. I set it to what I thought would work for my area and I had to take pitch out twice to get it right. I will probably go with a ground adjustable prop again. I saw the UL engine at Osh a couple of years ago and I liked it. The 260 would probably work for you on flat land.

I will never embrace the Rotax with the gear drive. To each his own.