PDA

View Full Version : Door prop rods

Greensuiter86
09-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have drawings or pics of gas strut installation for a KF II? I called the Kiftfox folks and the gentlman I spoke with seemed pretty uninterested in even talking about the older models. I've read some discussion in this forum, but didn't see any pics or specs. Seems this would be a pretty easy and straight forward install.

Thanks,
Jay

N627C
KFII/582

Kurt.A
09-24-2014, 09:39 PM
You bet Jay. I will take some pics of mine tomorrow in the day light.

Av8r_Sed
09-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Here's a pic of my cylinder installation. Extra points for the in-flight photo?

Greensuiter86
09-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Thanks Av8r...you must live on this forum;) The finish on your bird looks awsome as well. Did you get the struts from Kitfox and are they 40#? I know they have struts listed for models 1,2,3, but the gentleman I spoke with said he had negative knowlledge if the mounting hardware for the model IV would work for a II... Easy enough for me to fab some brackets and rivet them on, I'm just a bit apprehensive to drill into the airframe down tube and rivet...

Av8r_Sed
09-25-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't recall the pound rating on mine. One of my building partners obtained them. One mounting bracket was cut down from a factory part. The other was fabricated from angle. We did use structural adhesive and flox fillets to support their installation on the tubes and dipped the rivets in structural epoxy to help solidify them.

Greensuiter86
09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Found a pair of C16-10788's and 10mm ball studs at a local Truck cap dealer (side glass prop rods) and will be doing an install this weekend! Thanks for the info Jay!...and all that responded...you guys are awsome, I'm loving this forum already and intend to contribute whenever I can:D

Kurt.A
09-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Mine are done the same way. No sense in posting another pic.

Peteohms
09-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Don't forget to shop at Kitfox. They always have what I need. Let's keep them in mind when we need something. I bought my door prop rods from them a few years ago. I want them around next time I need something.

SkySteve
09-26-2014, 11:37 AM
I have bubble doors and when fully opened, the struts held the door bubble against the bottom of the wing. I didn't want to scratch the bubble so I coppied what Leptronjohn had done and tied a small, but strong nylon chord to both ends of the strut, limiting how far the strut could extend. This keeps the doors about 1/2" below the wing. Walla, no door scuffing.

jdmcbean
09-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks Av8r...you must live on this forum;)...

It would appear that the same install kit for the IV would work on the 2 as well... Let us know if we can help..

Greensuiter86
10-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks John, I'll be getting with you folks in the near future for some other items.

Regards,
Jay

N627C
KF II/582