PDA

View Full Version : new to kitfox need suggestions

h-m
09-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Hello all, i am new to building a kitfox as i just came into a kitfox 1 for a nice price. it has no instuments so i would like to get your experienced input as to the bare essiatials that i might need. i don't want to give up much weight, so i would just like to know what you guys think one should shoot for for minimum instruments for a nice clean simple panel. both my daughter and i like old school, so we are not looking for the newest wizz bang items, just what will get the job done in a classic aircraft. was thinking simple, 2-1/2" airspeed 0-160 knots (??? maybe), vertical speed 0 - 2,000 fps or something like that? altitude 0 -12,000 ft, old turn and bank indicator (old style ball in arced tube kind maybe) and then basic insturmentation for rotax 582, CHT for both cylinders, egt for both cylinders, water temp, amps. what else do you guys think we should shoot for? spose we will need xponder and maybe just go with handheld nav/comm portable with 2-place intercomm system, what else do you think?
thanks very much.
micheal

Av8r_Sed
09-16-2014, 09:35 AM
This is a case where "Old School" might not be the best choice for your panel. Analog instruments for a 582 are notoriously poor in terms of accuracy, particularly for EGT and RPM readings. This can lead you to tune your engine wrong or misadjust your prop when pitching it.

I recommend using one of the forum sponsor's products, the MGL E-1 Velocity single. It combines the EGT, RPM, water temp, system voltage and hour meter functions in one small, lightweight package. Mine has given me good service and is relatively easy to read. It has some "buttonology" to learn, but it's not something I need to mess with on every flight.

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/velocity.html#e1

I wonder if a VSI is really necessary. I have one in my panel, but I only look at it on climb out as trend information.

h-m
09-16-2014, 10:09 AM
thank you for the suggestions. i could see where i wouldn't look at the VSI much. i have been noticing this trend toward the multifunction indicators and yes i certainly don't want or need the steam guages if they will not repoort accurately! that would be silly. i will look into the various electronic options then also and see what looks good. thanks very much.
micheal

Dave S
09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi Michael,

This is an area where a person can go many ways. Probably a couple ways to decide what is right for you.

1) Check the thread on the list titled "show us your panel" there are ton of examples of both old school and latest/greatest tech and everything in between.

2) Take a look at what a person would want or is required to have as a minimum.......

A) possibly contact the person (Designated Airworthiness Representative or DAR) who may ultimately be inspecting your plane for certification when it is complete and ask them what the minimum instrumentation is that they would sign off on. Also if you belong to an EAA chapter - contact a tech counselor they are more than ready to help.

B) Contact the FAA MIDO office (Manufacturing inspection District Office) which has jurusdiction over your location - I found they have a complete packet specifically for home builders to help a person with processes and requirements for building and testing a home built airplane

In the end you need to decide what meets your needs.

Take care & have fun

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear - Flying
912ULS Warp Drive

cap01
09-17-2014, 07:52 AM
grand rapids makes a really nice eis that does a lot of stuff also ,even fuel used /fuel flow for some more money . worth looking into also good people to deal with .
my early model IV has some tubes/ supports forward of the panel that the later models don't have that . they restricted where the round primary instruments are located , long instruments/short instruments . i made up a templet panel out of lexan to make sure all my stuff would fit before i started cutting on the metal one.