PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump location

ken nougaret
09-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Everything I've read and seen says to put fuel pump close to header tank. I was just looking at my O-200 instructions and it shows the pump between the fuel shutoff valve and the firewall. And specifically says to mount pump 9 inches forward of fuel valve and on underside of center console. Thoughts please! Is this install different because its an O-200? I don't know if it makes any difference but i am using a rote tbi .
Thanks, ken

airlina
09-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Ken , I have a Series 5 with the Cont. IO-240. The factory supplied facet pump was totally inadequate for this engines needs, so i replaced it with an automotive Holly Blue pump that is physically located just aft of my header tank.I just saw pics that Papau pilot recently posted showing another location that he chose under the seat pan. As i recall he posted that photo this week, might give you some ideas. Bruce lina N199CL

ken nougaret
09-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Hi Bruce. I did see the pics that your speaking of. And i also read of the facet pump being of no use except as a paper weight. But i think that was mentioned from guys with injected engines. You also have a fuel injected engine; mine is not. I only want about 4 psi. Is the facet capable of this? ken

N981MS
09-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Also have IO-240 in the Kitfox and I eventually put in a Weldon because a facet will not run an injected engine if the engine driven fuel pump failed.

To answer your question. In our Zenith 750 with an O-200 we have a facet in a forward location similar to the Kitfox and it does fine. Only need it in very steep climb attitude with high power setting.

I think the carb only requires 1/2 psi.

This is a cool link for O-200 guys:
http://www.pj260.com/Continental/O-200%20Manual.pdf

SWeidemann
09-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Everything I've read and seen says to put fuel pump close to header tank...

I too am interested in installing an electric pump inline (some model of Facet?) in my 912 ULS powered Vixen Model 5. It makes sense to have redundancy and especially since the official stance of Rotax Folks is that you Should have a backup pump. The place I have in mind is also between the main fuel valve and the firewall, most likely under the center console. Any more deep thoughts about this?

I am also convinced I should eliminate the individual fuel filters between each wing tank and the header tank (so as to no encourage any fuel flow restrictions.....air, water, etc.) and install ONE good final filter very close to where the fuel finally gets to the carburetors. Question is.....should the filter be on the "pulling side" of the engine driven fuel pump or on the "pushing side"?

Thanks much,

Skot

mr bill
09-14-2014, 09:47 AM
My electric fuel pump is located forward, under the seat, with a capacitor in parallel.

SWeidemann
09-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info & the pictures. I see by "parallel" the fuel can be pumped both by the engine driven fuel pump or the electric fuel pump. So...is there a one-way check valve in the electric fuel pump? Also, what is the purpose of the capacitor? Is the capacitor a requirement for the fuel pump? Since your KF is a Model IV I assume your entire fuel line configuration may not be the same as my Model V with a Rotax 912. Would you mind sharing what brand of fuel pump you are using?

Thanks much,

Skot

sturdee
09-14-2014, 02:25 PM
I too am interested in installing an electric pump inline (some model of Facet?) in my 912 ULS powered Vixen Model 5. It makes sense to have redundancy and especially since the official stance of Rotax Folks is that you Should have a backup pump. The place I have in mind is also between the main fuel valve and the firewall, most likely under the center console. Any more deep thoughts about this?

I am also convinced I should eliminate the individual fuel filters between each wing tank and the header tank (so as to no encourage any fuel flow restrictions.....air, water, etc.) and install ONE good final filter very close to where the fuel finally gets to the carburetors. Question is.....should the filter be on the "pulling side" of the engine driven fuel pump or on the "pushing side"?

Thanks much,

Skot

Gents, not sure if first reply sent, however her goes! My concern in reading the above was too the suggestion of fitting fuel filters beyond the fire wall! This has potentially two No! Nos,
1) heat damage
2) blockages

Either case could cause engine failure or heaven forbid engine fire.
Having an inline filter from each tank too the header gives you two routes if one should become blocked, In my opinion only a gascolater type filter should be engine side of the firewall.
I have witnessed an inline filter having been fitted in a fuel line after the shut off valve and before the gascolater, which become very restricted causing engine partial failure, fortunately too a safe off field landing, the filter had blocked too the point of only allowing a quarter of the volume it normally would allow! The filter had been installed as an after thought of a good idea!
That's not what the plans showed, it is too easy too mess up stick too the original plans they have been tested and work! Safe flying,

mr bill
09-14-2014, 02:29 PM
The fuel pump came with the engine, so it must be Rotax supplied, but I don't see any markings on it. The Rotax manual shows a 22,00uf capacitor across the terminals of the motor to "increase reliability of the motor". I think it just reduces electrical noise in the system. You can't see it in the pictures, but there is a one way valve in the bypass line of the pump, to allow fuel to flow when the pump is off.

Remembering there may have been a p/n, I took the assembly apart and sure enough. It is Pierburg p/n 7.21440.51, along with another number "OCT 326".

SWeidemann
09-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Getting back to the Facet pump model, does anyone have a model number they have installed, on a Rotax 912 ULS in series (mine is a Model Vixen)? I know the area (inside the center console) I want to install one but do not know what to order. I thought I had the unit identified by "574A" but just found out that is not the model number but a general listing category. According to the specs for Facet pumps, they go by fuel flow volume and pressure. I'm curious about what people are using.

Thanks much,

Skot

DesertFox4
09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Skot- I think mine is a 4 psi Facet pump. If I can get out to the hangar tomorrow I'll get a number off it.

DesertFox4
09-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Skot- no luck. My Facet Aux. fuel pump has no labels or markings showing fuel flow/pressure. Sorry.

HighWing
09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Definitely not in the typical locations, but the part number is stamped on one of the mounting tabs. Mine is a 40105. 4.0 psi max 3.5 psi min.

Dave S
09-19-2014, 07:18 AM
A little embarrased that I did not have the fuel pump model recorded in my plane's equipment list:o.....so I don't have an accurate answer without tearing the console apart; however, the model Lowell mentioned does ring a bell....

FYI - the listing in aircraft spruce along with individual pump features linked here might be helpful

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php?clickkey=9133

Sincerely,

Dave S