PDA

View Full Version : Main Gear Tires?

Stormy
06-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Have just purchased Kitfox IV-1050 SN:1685. It has 18X8.50X8" 4ply garden tractor tires on chromed steel original wheels. Does anyone have a servicable set of PN LT-26 20X7.00X8" tires I could buy, or know of something that would be a suitable replacement?The tires I have may be great on a garden tractor, but they don't work all that cool on this airplane!

SkyPirate
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
one solution

I used a set of ATV tires on my kitfox 2 ..I left the knobs on the tires because I landed on short fields ..500 foot with obsticles on both ends..it gave me better braking ability,..but ..you can go to a truck tire dealer and they can put the tires on a lathe and cut the knobs off,..or you can cut them off yourself if you have a soldering gun with the knife blade,..heat it up to temp..the knobs slice right off..hit it with a belt sander after the knobs are cut off,..and the tires look like the tires that came with the kitfox 2 kit,..

Stormy,.if you look on my profile photo album..you'll see the kitfox 2 with the ATV tires on it,.. it will give you an idea on how they look ,..I know they are lighter then the garden tractor tires and I believe 2 ply.

they are carlisles ..I got them at walmart ,..the price ..,..it's been 10 years since then ..so .30$ a piece now?

Chase

kitfoxnick
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Nankang makes a tire 21X12-8 NK N800 SLICK TREAD 2 PLY. No trimming required. I personally have no experience with them but other kitfoxers have good reviews I'm still running the original 21" kitfox baldies. Here's a link to some I found online. http://www.atvtires.net/productdetail.asp?gn=N800
Nick

SkyPirate
06-03-2009, 08:20 PM
that's even better Nick..no cutting ,..

Stormy
06-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Thank you Chase & Nick: I received a set of 21X12X8's similar to the N800 unmounted with the plane. An eyeball SBS comparison reveals that they are so wide that the brake lines will chafe the sidewall of the tire. Am going to check on Les Scwab's ATV tire selection this morning, and see if they have something suitable. Also am considering adapting to Grove or Matco conversions if they have something in an easy retrofit. Anyone whose been there, done that with some P/N's, etc. out there? I am using the Grove gear legs and the axles mount with 1/4" bolts with 1 and 3/8's centers in a square pattern. By the way, this forum is a great resource for folks like me who are new Kit Fox owners. Also have found Mr. & Mrs. McBean great folks to work with. Stormy

SkyPirate
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Stormy ..I think Randy has a complete set up minus the gear,..ie axles hubs brakes tires ..grove..look in the classified forum,..he might still have them available

Chase

Stormy
06-05-2009, 07:18 PM
:)Chase: Thanks much for the tip about Randy's Grove gear parts. It was the best way to go, and we are in the process of exchanging parts and money. If anyone out there knows of a Super Cub or Sky Wagon driver who wants some big shoes for their bird, let them know about Randy's 8.50 X 6 tires. Those would have been a tad heavy for my Fox with it's Stratus EA-81 engine, so they are still available as far as I know. Norm

SkyPirate
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
my pleasure Stormy,..glad I could help :)