PDA

View Full Version : 912 oil sender supply?

Wheels
09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
I can't find anyone of the big suppliers who have the 912 oil sensor for a quad gauge from Westach. they are out until oct 20. Any ideas where I can buy one. the thread size is specific too. I bought a part that had fine threads, oops, wrong part.

Wheels
09-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I got a call from a supplier this A.M. Problem solved. Thanks.

DesertFox4
09-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear.
I read your post and remembered I had some old Westach gauges in my garage I took off my model 3 years ago. I found the senders but they looked completely different than the one you photographed.
The wires were not in great shape either:(.

sourdostan
09-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Where did you find the sensor available?

Thanks,
Stan Specht
Model IV 912 80 hp

Wheels
09-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Long story, but the short answer is, the one I ordered was the last one in stock and it got lost in transit. The supplier tracked it down and overnighted it to me. I should have it today. I'm starting the engine reinstallation today. I'll race Beerboats cause our planes appear to be in about the same condition, except for the cobwebs.

Wheels
09-17-2014, 10:03 PM
The engine start went well except for the oil pressure reading in the cockpit. the westach quad gauge said 20 PSI but the norm in that plane has always been 40 plus. So I shut down and ran a direct gauge to it. Got 60 psi immediately so its a gauge or sensor problem. I'll check grounds tomorrow but will probably in the market for a sender. I hope its not the quad gauge. if it is, i won't be able to fix it. I'll be looking for alternatives besides sitting on the ground for another two years.

cap01
09-18-2014, 11:08 AM
if you find you need a quad indicator , I have a friend that has one that he removed from his speedster when he installed the Grand Rapids eis .

Wheels
09-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I'll post a pic later of the direct gauge to the cockpit. I think the sender is bad so I'll be in the market for one of those, but not at 189 bucks, The direct gauge gives me real data if a little utilitarian in appearance.

Wheels
09-20-2014, 08:34 PM
I decided not to post a pic. the pic would be an ugly oil spattered engine and a very frustrated and confused pilot/owner/halffast mechanic.
the line I installed goes from the pump to the cockpit … period. it read 60 psi.
So DID THE DISCONNECTED (DID I SAY DISCONNECTED) Westtach quad gauge!!!!! The new gauge read MAX pressure 80plus at start. As the engine heated up and the temps began to climb, I noticed a slight drop in my new gauge then it continued to drop, then I saw some oil splatters on the door, then I smelled burning oil. the engine was off and I was out of the plane fire extinguisher in hand. The line was leaking at the pump connection, I realized the line was a 50PSI hose. This is bad. That max pressure is 107 by the book. so back to the parts store tomorrow to get high pressure hose. and degreaser, and some shop towels, and ….. the saga continues.

Wheels
09-22-2014, 07:55 PM
It's fixed.

Avidfox
10-11-2014, 05:00 PM
I am interested in finding a replacement quad gauge if you are not looking to pick it up. I am having problems with my gauge too! After disconnecting it from the back of the gauge and reinstalling it My pressure came back up to 60 (had been reading in 80's). Not as high but it did come back. I noticed that the connector on the back of the gauge moves a little. The other ones do not. I have No confidence in that gauge! A direct gauge seems like it may be a great add on. Interested in your set up if have the time to do pics. Thanks
Dave