PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox crash today Greene, NY

tommg13780
09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Sad news here in my neighborhood. Kitfox model 5 crashed and burned. Pilot was airlifted. Details lacking at this time.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Pilot-injured-in-crash-at-Greene-Airport-273465461.html?vid=a

DesertFox4
09-01-2014, 05:55 PM
:(

Thanks Tom. Best wishes for the pilot.

Paul Z
09-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Damned burns I hate to hear that, they hurt like hell! I hope him a speedy recovery, and Gods Blessing.

Paul Z

gregsgt
09-02-2014, 08:12 AM
I heard that on the news and you were the only guy I knew out that way that had one.

I'd be very interested to know the details on the accident.

tommg13780
09-29-2014, 07:30 AM
I have a little more information regarding the Kitfox crash from 9-1-2014. Apparently this was the first flight by a new owner who was not the builder. It may have been the first flight since completion of construction, I'm not sure on that point. The engine was a form of Subaru and reported to be a direct drive. The airplane was using a grass strip 2849' in length. As reported by my fellow pilot/friend the kitfox was able to takeoff in ground effect but unable to climb. The owner/pilot tried unsuccessfully to make a 180 degree turn and return to the field with altitude at or below 50'. The pilot was a high time tailwheel flyer. I have no information regarding the extent of injuries other that what was on the news the day after the accident saying multiple internal injuries. At this point it sounds like a case of engine related lack of power but that's just a guess. If more information becomes available I will pass it along.

gregsgt
09-29-2014, 07:39 AM
My flight instructor knew the guy that witnessed the whole thing and was the first one to arrive at the crash. I guess he had been having power problems with the engine before and when he tried to turn back to the airport the wing dropped and went into a spin. I did not know it was a Subaru engine though.