PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 tail wheel spring

fred colman
08-31-2014, 02:53 PM
The lower leaf on the two leaf tail spring on my Mk2 has broken just behind the bracket.I have read on this forum some time ago about adding a third leaf to beef it up.The spring on Just Aircraft Sky Raider 2& Escapade is the same length&shape,only it is a single leaf approx 8-10mm thick(and I think I can get my hands on one);).Question is, has anyone used this type of single leaf spring and how did it fare on a Kit Fox?.I cant see why it would not be ok,but someone might know better by experience:eek:

fred colman
09-12-2014, 02:11 PM
I can understand why no one would mess around with different tail spring in the USA,as they are only $100.Not so easy to get hold of over here.The afor mentioned one piece spring available here is $200:eek:.Going to have one made.Sorry I mentioned J--- A------- on this forum:o

68niou1
09-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Fred-

Our favorite Aircraft manufacturer probably has them in stock- I just got one from them. Best part is it is a bolt on accessory. (No such thing as bad bolt on's in my opinion) Call John or Debra McBean at Kitfox- they will hook you up.:D

However- I have a model 4, I don't know if there is a difference in springs between a 2 and a 4:confused:

Dick B in KY
09-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Do they not have automotive spring shops in the UK? In a pinch you could have one made.

Dick B

Dave Holl
09-13-2014, 06:07 AM
John
I could have a look around my area I had a tail wheel spring made in Worthing for my Jodel long time ago now but they may still be around, give me the dimensions if you want me to have a go?
Dave

Dave Holl
09-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Fred I mean sorry!!!!

fred colman
09-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for replies Dave,Dick&68niou1.I got a leaf similar to the broken one from a local LAA inspector.It had to be cut &drilled (not easy to drill:()but I am airbourn again.Going to have two leaves made up at automotive spring maker,just in case:rolleyes:. Thanks gents

avidflyer
09-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I was told by a spring shop to never drill a pilot hole, just the full size hole in one pass. Reason is that the heat from drilling will harden the metal so it's way harder to make a second pass with a larger drill bit. Obviously a drill press is the tool to use so you can put enough pressure on the drill bit. Jim Chuk

fred colman
09-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi Jim
With great difficulty I managed to get 3mm pilot holes,then opened them up with tapered reamers.It was suprising how easy the reamers did their work,mabe I was lucky :).Thanks for info