PDA

View Full Version : instrument lights

ken nougaret
08-17-2014, 05:37 AM
i'm wondering what to do about instrument lights. for those out there that are flying behind steam gauges, i'm curious to what your using? I was looking at nulites or uma bezel lighting, but I think they would push the instrument too far back in the panel. is anyone using post lights and how do they look?
ken

Flybyjim
08-17-2014, 05:44 AM
I used post lights on my last project and they work very well. I don't use them to often as I do not fly at night but evenings where I might get back a bit late after sunset they work very well and just look cool. Easy to install and wire.

Av8r3400
08-17-2014, 07:07 AM
I have a friend that built a Piper Clipper a few years ago and used the bezel light rings. They worked awesome. They did push the instrument back a little, but it wasn't noticeable.

If I were going to use round gauges in my project plane, this is definitely the way I'd go.

Russell320
08-17-2014, 01:37 PM
I used nulites. For the price they worked great. Plus, you can trim as much as you need off. The current draw is minimal for incandescent lights.

Dave S
08-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Maybe another approach but pretty reasonable and works very well.

I got the red LED strip Stein sells with the controller...The strip is narrow (1/2") and very low profile and was placed on the under lip of the glareshield the full width of the glareshield. Two red auto LED marker lights were placed in the upper rear of the cockpit and pointed towards the panel.....All works out with an even illumination of the the entire panel.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive