PDA

View Full Version : gascolator?

ken nougaret
08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
if the header tank is the low point of fuel on a tail dragger, what is the point of a gascolator, other than it has a filter screen.
SS/O-200 ken

wheelerg
08-08-2014, 04:27 PM
When in level flight it may now become the lowest point?

my 2 cents anyways?

ken nougaret
08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Aren't we concerned about lowest point at preflight to check for water.
Is the gascolator necessary for additional fuel hold closer to the engine?

Av8r3400
08-08-2014, 05:09 PM
I utilize mine as the filtering element in the fuel system.

I do not believe in filters on gravity flow alone (between the wing and header tanks).

ken nougaret
08-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Av8r3400, are you saying you don't want any additional restriction from the tank to the header?

Peteohms
08-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Well, I've gotten enough water out of my gascolator to say that it has a necessary function.

Av8r3400
08-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Av8r3400, are you saying you don't want any additional restriction from the tank to the header?

In short, yes.

The filters most often placed in this position is a paper element disposable automotive unit, which I have seen clog with just a small amount of water contamination. Gravity and pitot pressure is not enough to push through filters, IMO.

HighWing
08-09-2014, 07:16 AM
My first Model IV had a gascolator - first flight 1998. When this exact question was asked then I was a strong gascolator proponent. The discussion led me to eventually omit the gascolator on my current Model IV. I agree with the paper filter issue, but the solution is simply to select a filter with a different element. I use the clear glass filters mounted between the wing tank and header tank. They are positioned above the quarter window so I can see fuel while in flight. My theory is this. The finger strainers will remove large particles then the glass filters will remove the rest. I will have an essentially "sterile" system from those filters to the carburetors. A whila ago, I did some work on the header tank that broke the "sterile"system chain so I put a filter in the engine compartment for several hours before going back to the designed system.

Lion8
08-09-2014, 02:21 PM
I think Lowell is right. I have a 'T' that feeds into one glass filter right above and in back of the right seat. Very easy to view. It then flows to the header, to the gascolator low on engine side of the firewall. I did a 25deg. nose up attitude fuel flow test. I got 4 times the minimum required flow to the fuel pump entrance.

ken nougaret
08-09-2014, 03:49 PM
This is all good information.

kitfox2009
08-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Hi Guys
I have a Vixen that just yesterday flipped past the 500 hour (master switch time) and in the last 400 hours has never had any filtering other than the gascolator (required by Transport Canada on all a/c except ultralights). I purchase off hiway "non ethanol" fuel from a bulk dealer except when traveling and 100LL is all that is available. To date I have never had an issue with fuel contamination and hopefully won`t have because most of our terrain here is quite unfriendly!
Not sure, but I would think that anything passing the fine screen in the gascolator would also pass through the carbs.
I did install the recommended fuel return line (back to the gascolator) and a fuel pressure gauge (runs just under 5 PSI).
Cheers
Don
Vixen 912UL C-FOXK

neville
08-11-2014, 07:32 AM
The header tank is a nice sump but has no screen. A slug of water or rust
at a refueling stop can get to the engine. On my SS7 tri gear with Rotax 912iS . I have a gascloator (117 microns) mounted low on the fire wall which is the lowest point. Then on to two electric fuel pumps followed by a 10 micron filter which has a 60 micron screen at its input and then on to
the fuel rail which contains the pressure regulator. Pressure is 41-45 psi.
I have had the 10 micron filter start to clog up, which is indicated by increased fuel pressure at the output of the fuel pumps. By luck it showed up on the engine run-up, indicated by a fuel pressure of 52 pounds and
an alarm from the engine monitor. So back to the ramp and replace the 10 micron filter element. Later exam with a 30 power viewer showed about
half of the element holes full of a black substance which I suspect came
from the refueling hose.

cap01
08-11-2014, 08:22 AM
was that black stuff from the fuel hose at lupien or do they still have mogas there? I was getting some really fine black stuff in my glass filters , that turned out to be from one of those hand pumps that I was using on a barrel .

neville
08-11-2014, 08:56 AM
No I don't think it came from the fuel at Lupein ( now named A.J. Eisenberg). They sell mogas but currently have a problem that the 92 octane tank was getting low so the owner ordered 87 to refill. So now
the mogas is some in between octane, So I add 1gal of 100LL to 4 gal
of the blend. This was recommended by the rotax shop at KAWO. I took
two 5gal containers of the mix and ran them through a 10 micron filter and found nothing in fuel. I am watching fuel pressure to see if there is more
in the system. None of the other screens had anything in them.

cap01
08-11-2014, 12:43 PM
I refuse to refer to it as eisenberg airport as I worked for one of his companies in the late 70s , can't believe he's not in jail . on the others hand I hold Wes lupien in the highest regard as he taught me how to fly and gave me my check ride