PDA

View Full Version : iFLY 720 GPS

mtgsxr
08-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Adventure Pilot 720 GPS ?
how is the screen in the sunlight? map speed ? ect..

SkyPirate
08-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a 700 ..a friend has a 720..his is readable in direct sunlight..mine is too but not as "bright"? clear..he can update his thru wifi..I have to load my SD card..they both draw low amps/volts..both are ADS-B adaptable..I have roads loaded as well..he does not..very versatile GPS..tons of info ..plates approaches etc and selectable as to which you upload..sectionals too..you don't have to load every chart..just the ones you use

phintz
08-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I thought about going to a I fly 720, but chose an I pad mini , (the cellular unlocked version , with wifi and gps chip,! It was almost half the money ! I chose fore flight app which is $75 per year plus in a use the iPad for other uses too!

Happy shopping
Patrick series 6

Paul Z
08-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I have a IPad as well. My first IPad was great until it got stolen. My IPad 2 overheats constantly, to the point it shuts itself down until lit cools off. I just got back from Oshkosh, I had to keep turning it on and off to keep it cool. At one point I had to wet my hand and rub the back of the case to keep it cool enough to use, once I wrote down the Approach, Tower, & Ground frequencies I turned it off. The good thing I dropped it on the driveway, the day I got back, shattering the screen, so I either get a new IPad Mini or I get a Garmine GPS. Seeing it will be my 3rd IPad, I'm not really sold on it!

Flybyjim
08-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I have the 720 and have been using it for 2 years and like it very much. The new update that just came out even makes it a better choice. All screens flow better from one to another and the selection buttons now are better identified and a bit larger. Although I have the 720 and it is okay in direct sunlight I still find it hard to see. If they had the same resolution as Dynon or Garmin the Ifly would be hard to beat for price and features.
Just my .02

Jim

jrevens
08-08-2014, 09:33 PM
I have a new iFly 720 as well as a newer ("Retna screen") iPad Mini. I find the iFly screen at least as bright & readable in sunlight as my Garmin 196. The iPad is terrible in that regard, IMHO, even with the expensive anti-glare screen protector recommended by the folks with Foreflight. The VFR updates for the 720 are $69/year, which includes up to date Sectional, vector and WAC charts for the entire U.S., as opposed to $40 a shot (28 day cycles) for the Garmin updates, which is why I usually only update it once a year. The iFly data also includes Google Earth views of thousands of airports, fuel prices, etc., etc. It's a great unit, which stores it's data on an SD memory card, has built in WiFi (can be updated with that) which can connect it with other devices like an ADS-B unit, etc. It has a dual core processor that is much faster than the old iFly units. You can drive an autopilot from its usb port. I love it so far. I use my iPad for flight planning, & I use it in the cockpit to a limited degree, but the iPad has some serious flaws for use there - again, IMHO. Mine also is prone to overheating & shutting down. I've also experienced noise in the audio circuit that sounds like a stuck mic at certain frequencies when it's plugged into ship's power. I'll personally take the unit designed for aviation any day over an iPad, if I had to choose one over the other. Oh, & by the way, my iPad, with GPS & 32 GB of memory was more expensive than the iFly.

jrevens
08-09-2014, 09:28 AM
In re-reading my post, I see I made an error talking about "fuel prices". You can access any of the sites (like AirNav) with the iFly's built-in browser, but fuel prices aren't part of the airport information in the database. However, iFly says that it is something they are thinking about for a future section in the database, which could be updated by users.
I know this all sounds like an advertisement, but I really like this unit so far.

Paul Z
08-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Fuel prices are listed on the ForeFlight App if you are using an IPad.

Paul Z
08-09-2014, 11:12 AM
I have been looking for a GPS since I dropped my iPad shattering my screen. The iFly720 looks very interesting. Having looked at the Garmin it looks nice but the XM weather runs about $50 per month, and the ADS-B antenna is $500. it is a little pricy for me!

mtgsxr
08-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the info. I currently have a motorola xoom with avare. its pretty slow in the mapping mode and pretty much impossible to read in any sunlight. I'm trying to find the best bang for the buck and really wont need it very often.

SkyPirate
08-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Another advantage to IFLY GPS , once you purchase today's model, they will take it in trade toward a newer edition, awesome service as well , I bought my unit used and called IFLY they hooked me up with the latest system download, actually mailed me a new SD with all upgrades pre loaded, and they next day shipped it

kitfox2009
08-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi Guys
Just for fun it may be interesting for you to try an Andriod program called AvNav EFB. I recently installed it on my new Gallaxy 10.5 tablet and have used it for 2 flights. One over the Rockies to Alberta and this weekend over the Coast range and on to Vancouver Island. Unfortunately the designer has to date not included Canada sectionals but is working on it. Thinks Canada may be installed by year end.
I have never used Foreflight but for us "non Apple" folks this looks like a great alternative.
You can try it out free for a few weeks then I believe the price is about $5.00 a month.
I have no interest in the business except to let others know about it.
I had a mat finish screen saver installed on the new Samsung and it was no problem reading the screen (much better then my ICom radio)
Have fun
Don
Vixen 912UL C-FOXK

mtgsxr
08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Does it give runway numbers ? I seem to have issues with that.. lol

jrevens
08-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Does it give runway numbers ? I seem to have issues with that.. lol

Actually, the iFly does. It also shows extended centerlines & all kinds of other things.

mtgsxr
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
ok next question... Anyone find it cheeper than $699 ?

Paul Z
08-10-2014, 08:36 PM
I found it for $689 on My Pilot Store. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/

Paul Z
08-11-2014, 06:32 AM
Chase you have an iFly 720? I am needing to get something, I dropped my iPad P.O.S. when I got home from Oshkosh, and fractured my screen really bad. It's not worth repairing because it tends to overheat. Either I get one of the newer iPads or something else. Any recommendations?

dginok
08-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Looks like the iFly web site has "re-certified" 720s available for $599.

avidflyer
08-11-2014, 08:06 AM
I got a Nexus 7 tablet last fall and uploaded Avare aviation GPS software on it. (free android software) Worked good for me. Easy to see in the sunlight. The Nexus 7 is the tablet recommended on the Avare site. I got a new Nexus 7 (2012 version, 32 GB) on ebay for $149 with free shipping. Way less than Walmart wanted. I havn't used the IFLY or others, but this worked well for me. Cheap also! The tablet works good for going on the net when on a trip also if you can get wifi. Jim Chuk

jrevens
08-11-2014, 09:04 AM
?.. Either I get one of the newer iPads or something else. Any recommendations?

Paul,
I have one of the newer iPads, & it sometimes overheats & shuts down in the cockpit.

jrevens
08-11-2014, 09:07 AM
I got a Nexus 7 tablet last fall and uploaded Avare aviation GPS software on it. (free android software) Worked good for me. Easy to see in the sunlight. The Nexus 7 is the tablet recommended on the Avare site. I got a new Nexus 7 (2012 version, 32 GB) on ebay for $149 with free shipping. Way less than Walmart wanted. I havn't used the IFLY or others, but this worked well for me. Cheap also! The tablet works good for going on the net when on a trip also if you can get wifi. Jim Chuk
I almost got a Nexus 7 instead if the iPad. I wish I had. It looks like a good unit.

Paul Z
08-11-2014, 10:15 AM
My iPad would shut down CONSTANTLY.. Once I taxied from the Hanger to the North end of the runway for Take Off, when I was holding waiting on clearance to T/O it gave me the Overheating message and shut down as I was taking off!

dholly
08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Some additional observations...

- Dual processor loads info fast, works in landscape or portrait view. The chart detail, screen brightness and resolution are all very good, and the function touch buttons 'disappear' allowing more info display on screen. I like the ability to shut off the terrain alerts but still display a vertical moving terrain profile.

- The WiFi database updates work flawlessly, but internet browser is almost useless. It does 'bookmark' visited sites to make subsequent visits load quicker. Good for Wx and TFR updates via WiFi if your phone dies I suppose.

- The remote is more handy than I expected. Not full featured but allows quick access to the most commonly used functions and airport info, including private airports (love the satellite 'realview' of airports and taxi ways).

- All of the electrical connections are made on the sides, not the back, of the unit. The back of the unit is flat, which means the Velcro hook & loop 'poor man's' mounting option direct to the panel or another flat surface mount in your collection works great.

- I originally had the GPS mounted overhead between the 'V' just aft of the forward carry thru tube using the supplied iFly suction cup mount. The mount has multiple articulation joints and is fairly long overall, so I got a very noticeable and annoying jiggle that made the unit hard to read. I found using a shorter RAM mount helped.

- The glass skylight, even with my re-positionable auto shades overhead, made viewing the screen detail difficult due to the glare at times. Enough so that I want to move it down to my panel with a slightly angled, quick remove mounting option flush with, but not cut into, the panel. FWIW, setting the unit to vector maps in night view provided the best high-contrast map for sunlight glare. Will try anti-reflective screen film someday, this stuff was recommended by another user. LINK (http://www.nushield.com/dayvue_technology.php)

- I spoke to the good folks from Adventure Pilot at OSH about surface mounts and they recommended trying this 2-part mount: Swivel Base (http://www.proclipusa.com/accessories/adapter-plates/product/4-prong-richter-mounting-plate-with-tilt-swivel-215058.cmsv?p_leftorright=0) with Mounting Plate (http://www.proclipusa.com/accessories/adapter-plates/product/4-prong-richter-female-mounting-plate-with-adhesive-tape-202001.cmsv?p_leftorright=0). Interesting but pricey. I am also considering two other base mount alternatives: a RecMounts REC-B43G suction cup mount LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Rec-mounts-Suction-Material-rec-b43g-Hsr-as30v/dp/B00HZAYIGK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1407776497&sr=8-8&keywords=rec-b43g) (which will require a RAP-B-375U 1-inch 'T-slot' adapter ball LINK (http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-flat-panel-t-slot-adapter-b-ball-rap-b-375u.html); and, in the event I can't find a good spot for the suction cup mount, a PanaVise 651-TS 'T-Bolt' Adjusting Knuckle short post mount LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TYSU54/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=). Both of these socket base options should position the iFly closer to the panel than the typical Ram ball base with double socket arm, and still allow quick angle changes to minimize reflections.

- I used the Streets GPS function driving to and from AirVenture this year and found it quite adequate, once I shut off the "You are over the speed limit" voice warning ;). Only real nits were the display was too bright at night regardless of the night scheme selected, ie. no manual night brightness control (I just put down the sun visor to cover), and the voice announce turn warnings on non-highway roads often came so close to a turn that I simply couldn't slow fast enough.

Still learning but it seems like a very good bang for the buck, no regrets yet. Might try their new app if you have a tablet already.

SkyPirate
08-11-2014, 09:12 PM
I just mounted mine in the panel with remote connections including SD card

jrevens
08-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Some additional observations...

- I spoke to the good folks from Adventure Pilot at OSH about surface mounts and they recommended trying this 2-part mount: Swivel Base (http://www.proclipusa.com/accessories/adapter-plates/product/4-prong-richter-mounting-plate-with-tilt-swivel-215058.cmsv?p_leftorright=0) with Mounting Plate (http://www.proclipusa.com/accessories/adapter-plates/product/4-prong-richter-female-mounting-plate-with-adhesive-tape-202001.cmsv?p_leftorright=0). Interesting but pricey. I am also considering two other base mount alternatives: a RecMounts REC-B43G suction cup mount LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Rec-mounts-Suction-Material-rec-b43g-Hsr-as30v/dp/B00HZAYIGK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1407776497&sr=8-8&keywords=rec-b43g) (which will require a RAP-B-375U 1-inch 'T-slot' adapter ball LINK (http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-flat-panel-t-slot-adapter-b-ball-rap-b-375u.html); and, in the event I can't find a good spot for the suction cup mount, a PanaVise 651-TS 'T-Bolt' Adjusting Knuckle short post mount LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TYSU54/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=). Both of these socket base options should position the iFly closer to the panel than the typical Ram ball base with double socket arm, and still allow quick angle changes to minimize reflections.

Because it's still new to me, I really appreciate that info Doug! Thanks for the links.

HighWing
08-19-2014, 08:41 AM
I finally read through this thread and have to thank those who posted. I have the IFLY 700 and struggled with it viewing wise. I was seriously thinking of the IPad Mini, but second thoughts now. I just might fork out for the 720 - seriously tempted.

I wanted to share with the group my solution to the visibility issue. Keep in mind that I very seldom fly with another on board so passenger room is not an issue.

The first two photos show the GPS mounted

This shows the telescoping tubing and attachment for the GPS

This shows the attachment point on the transverse tube behind and below the instrument panel. Note the thumb screw on the mount that allows for removal of the entire tube assembly when desired.

jrevens
08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Lowell,
Do you experience any vibration of the unit with it cantilevered out that far? As we've seen before, you came up with a really cool way to solve a problem. Not many people would have the ability to design & construct the multitude of custom details that you have built for your bird. Nice job!

I'm not sure if the 720 is a brighter/sharper display than the 700... I think it might be, but don't know for sure. It seems very good to me. I also just ordered the anti-glare screen protector that Adventure Pilot offers.

I purchased a couple of parts from Pro Clip for mounting on the panel of my project. I machined a little adapter plate to mate the 720 with the Pro Clip stuff. The 720 will now be nice & close to the panel (unlike with a RAM mount) & still have sufficient angle adjustment.

HighWing
08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
John,
No on the vibration. I had the unit mounted with the suction cup mount in the only location I had on the panel to attach it. That was where the CO indicator is clear across the panel. I guess part of my problem is that in the old days, there was just a line indication course and a few circles etc. to indicate airspace and restricted areas with the little silhouette to show me. With the Sectional in the background it was sort of visual overload from that distance and I needed it closer to my eyes to enhance the detail. I know there are viewing options to take me back to the "good old days" but I wanted to see if I can make it work with all the bells and whistles. One more thought on the suction cup mount, I would often find the GPS on the floor when prepping for a flight because the cup suction would fail and I guess I didn't want that to have to be part of the preflight - checking on that - or having it happen in flight.

I guess it's really like the three old guys in the greeting card Kay and I saw the other day. The first guy says "It's windy". The Second guy says, "No it's Thursday". The third guy says, "I'm thirsty too, lets go get a beer".

The volume is a bit louder, the glasses a bit thicker as well as the cushions and the lights a bit brighter. I can still do all the things I used to do, but in twice the time. Life is good.

Paul Z
08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Do you have a photo of your mount?

Lowell,
I purchased a couple of parts from Pro Clip for mounting on the panel of my project. I machined a little adapter plate to mate the 720 with the Pro Clip stuff. The 720 will now be nice & close to the panel (unlike with a RAM mount) & still have sufficient angle adjustment.

Paul Z
08-19-2014, 11:52 AM
I went to the iFly web page they have iFly 720, Re-Certified iFly 720 : Limited Quantity Price $599.00. I would guess they are the returned iFlys that didn't work correctly, and these are Refurbished. They sell them with a 1 Year Warrantly like new. I just talked to Walter at iFly. They are located in McKinney Texas, I have decided to go up and touch, feel. look at one of the units. I'll post my opinion on the iFly 720 after my visit! He said they also have a 30 day money back guarantee, that if you decide you don't like it and just want to go back to a tablet they would refund your money.

https://www.iflygps.com/shop-t136/re-certified-ifly-720-limited-quantity.aspx

I found it for $689 on My Pilot Store. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/

mtgsxr
08-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Sweet Paul !
Keep us updated :)

jrevens
08-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Do you have a photo of your mount?
Here are a few of them Paul. I spent way too much time on this little project.

Paul Z
08-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Spending toooo much time on an airplane project is similar to spending tooo much money on the airplane. It's a given, just ask the wife! Realize I fly one of the Kitfox SLSAs.

Paul Z
08-24-2014, 09:28 AM
I went up to look at the iFly 720, in McKinney Texas. It's pretty nice but the actual picture quality of the display is not very good. The 720's display has a lot of artifacts, they use a low resolution image which causes the artifacts. I use to work at Texas instruments on the digital imaging displays, so image quality is something I am just little anal retentive about. The image quality of the maps on the Apple are far superior to that of the iFly 720.

They offer their mapping software for both an iPad's and other tablets. I went to the Apple store and bought myself another iPad, since mine was distroyed. I opted to buy the mapping software for the iPad to give their software a try. I really like some of the features on their software such as the warnings when you're entering class B, C, or D airspaces. They also offer, for an additional $20, the ability to have multiple platforms on which you use your their software. so you can use their software on both the iFly 720 and an iPad if you'd like to compare the two. We walked out the back door of their office with the iFly 720 to look at it in direct sunlight. If I use a glare filter on my iPad I believe the pictures just as readable. Also, the display of the iFly is smaller than an iPad Mini, for me that is way too small.

As soon as I use both ForeFlight and the iFly software together I'll do a comparison of each one of the softwares.

DesertFox4
08-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks Paul. The iFly was an item I didn't look into at Oshkosh. Should have.

wheelerg
08-25-2014, 04:16 AM
As soon as I use both ForeFlight and the iFly software together I'll do a comparison of each one of the softwares.

Looking forward to reading your review.... i am using foreflight demo till 8 Sept then will have to commit to something.

kmach
08-25-2014, 06:23 AM
I am subscribed to foreflight.

From flight planning to moving map it has it all , everything I will ever need .

I really like it and would not want to go back to unfolding maps in the cockpit !

desertfox1
08-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Flew for a little over 2 hours Sunday, the route took us through and under Class B and Luke AFB satr. The I pad mini was a big help as you might imagine. My mini has been cross country and used here in the desert and never shut off from heat (yet) On another note, we also had a Garmin ADS B on board which turned out to be interesting. Phoenix is the flight training capital of the world and therefore we have a lot of traffic. At one point we were 2 miles from a young man with poor English that was "crossing over runway for right teardrop to left downwind for runway 5 for touch and a go".
Could not see him but used the AERA target and communication to keep clear until he was established on base. I'm 80 and not a fan of head down in the cockpit but a glance to the I pad and the AERA in this area is helpful, even in a Kitfox

Phil

Paul Z
08-25-2014, 02:18 PM
I have purchased an Apple iPad Air with that has the new A7 processor, 2core 64 bit processor. Hopefully my overheating will be resolved with the dual core processor.

Paul Z
08-25-2014, 02:21 PM
The one thing I don't like about the iFly Software versus tha ForeFlight is the fact it shows only one sectional at a time. To get the adjacent sectional you are forced to touch the screen. Foreflight has seamless sectionals. It shows all of the US.

jrevens
08-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I have purchased an Apple iPad Air with that has the new A7 processor, 2core 64 bit processor. Hopefully my overheating will be resolved with the dual core processor.
I don't know, Paul. Mine has the A7 w/ dual core, & it overheats. If you keep the sun off of it, it's fine. In my Thorp, with the sliding canopy, that's a little harder- at least when it's on your knee or the seat beside you- than it would be in a high wing machine like a Kitfox.

Paul Z
08-25-2014, 02:39 PM
My old one would overheat taxing from the hanger to Take off, less than 5 minutes. To use it flying to Oshkosh, I would open it up, read it, and then push the button to turn it off. Even doing that twice I had to wet my hand rub the water on the back of the case, and put it in front of the air vent to cool it off. I also have a sun shade over the top to minimize sunlight on my head and on the display.

Flybyjim
08-25-2014, 06:25 PM
I have been using both Ifly and Foreflight and I find them both great to work with. I mainly use the Ifly as my navigation tool and the fore flight as my info resource for airports. either one will do both, if one would fail I'm still in the game.

Oneninerwhiskey
09-23-2014, 07:28 PM
After my ifly 700 mount let go in flight, I removed the rubber suction cup by pressing the back side and unhooking the lever. That left a hole in the center through which I inserted an AN 3 bolt with a large area washer. Drilled a hole in the proper area of the panel and fastened with another large area washer and nut behind the panel. No more worries about the unit dropping off in flight. :)

Paul Z
09-24-2014, 02:30 PM
My new ipad worked flawlessly flyin from Texas to Homedale Idaho. Much better, I'm glad I dropped my old one!:D

jtpitkin06
09-25-2014, 12:09 AM
I use an iPad 3 with ForeFlight. The only time I had it overheat/shutdown is when I set it on the glare shield during taxi. Since then I am careful to keep it out of the sun. Foreflight is an energy hog and it really heats up the iPad even when I'm siting in my home. Add to that the heating effect of the charger and it does get quite warm. I'm sure it would cool better if I took it out of the case but I'm a little shy to do so having broken the screen once.

My biggest problem is keeping the iPad charged for longer flights. I keep it plugged into the accessory socket but the little 2.1 amp charger can just barely keep up. It will maintain whatever level of charge I start with but will not top off the battery when ForeFlight is running.

Without the charger I can get about 3 hours on Foreflight with a fully charged battery.

John P

Esser
09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
If you don't need the GPS or weather info your ipad can last 8+ hours running foreflight with that stuff turned off.