PDA

View Full Version : performance effects of full size cargo pod?

prolab4
05-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I have a cargo pod I am about to attache to my Model 3. I would appreciate informed comments regarding aerodynamic consequences and/or changes in performance and handling with a full size Kitfox cargo pod.

This is the full width pod, not the bullet pod

Thank you, JB Jones

DesertFox4
05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I only have experience with the "bullet" pod on my old model 3. Only about 2mph difference in cruise with it as I recall.
I have a full size cargo pod like yours but have never installed it. They are kind of hard to find anymore. We were always going to modify it to fit the Grove style landing gear but as of yet haven't found that extra time to do so.
I'm guessing 3 to 4 mph in cruise speed. I've never heard of any adverse handling characteristics with either style cargo pod. Maybe you could put too much weight in it but it is pretty much on the CG. The 3 was always short on baggage capacity so that should be a nice addition for you on cross country trips. Less ground clearance is the only consideration but should not be problem.

prolab4
05-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Thank you Desertfox,

In a conversation with our friend from Cameron Park, we discussed possibility of aerodynamic changes in airflow both prop induced and in power off landing configuration to horizontal stabilizer and elevator when the larger pod is in place..

Speed will diminish with increased drag but my concern is less with speed than elevator and rudder performance. I have confidence there is nothing startling about flying with the pod but appreciate others experience.

I have a Grove gear as well and pod modification to fit the Grove will make an impressive increase in volume over the original gear.

lbushrod
06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
I have and use a cargo pod on my model 2. It was originally designed to open like a clam shell which was unhandy. I modified it to open from the top front and carry two camp chairs, fishing rods and small shade canopy.

There are no adverse handling characteristics to the pod but it does create drag to the tune of a few miles per hour. It is mounted to the original strut tabs welded to the frame and easy to install and remove.

Baggage room in the model 2 is limited so the pod is very helpful. Ground clearance is no issue and I would think that it can be mounted with Grove gear as easily as standard.

I don't know how rare they might be now but I found them on the internet at about 300 bucks. I got mine from a friend and built my own mounts.

Good luck,

pete

DesertFox4
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Pete, I believe we are talking about two entirely different "pods". Yours looks like a bomb on the bottom of the aircraft , correct? The cargo pods are still available through Kitfox Aircraft LLC (page 9 of the parts catalog $385.00 part # 10099.000) and work with bungee or Grove's aluminum gear.
Many were sold and are in use with no ill effects except as you say a couple mph loss in cruise.

The other "pod" that was available back then is more of a cargo bay that is strapped to the bottom of the aircraft like you'd see on a Super Cub or a Cessna 206 or 185. They are more spacious inside and as I recall have two doors on them for access. I haven't seen mine for some time so I'm going off memory. They were not sold in large numbers like the "bomb pods" were. That's also why it's hard to find any members with experience using these cargo carriers.
I've only seen a couple photos of early Kitfox with these installed. They are also made of fiberglass and are shaped around the original Kitfox bungee gear legs which does reduce the usable space some. Since most have gone to Grove type gear the cargo bay could be reshaped to recover that lost space. They are not as sexy looking as the bomb pods but they work and I would imagine they carry more "stuff".

prolab4
06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes Steve, I posted the original inquiry because my pod is the larger "cargo bay" style and I had not seen any reference to their use.

We were fortunate the former owner included the bay and a set of skis with the model 3. Even though my partner tells me the skis are apparently two left skis...does anyone have interest in two left skis for sale????

I installed the Grove gear last year and I will be able to reclaim substantial pod cargo space that was required with the bungee gear.

JB Jones