PDA

View Full Version : MGL Avionics Debuts the Discovery-Lite

DesertFox4
08-03-2014, 10:33 PM
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs046/1102692382577/img/2.jpg

Press Release: MGL Avionics Debuts the Discovery-Lite

For Immediate Release

Dear Steven,

07/30/2014, Oshkosh, Wisconsin - MGL Avionics today officially launched the long-awaited Discovery-Lite 7" EFIS. This all-in-one EFIS is a revolution in simplicity, but harnesses the full power of the iEFIS system.

The Discovery has a bright non-reflective 7" Touchscreen with around 1000+ nits of brightness. It looks, feels and operates like an iEFIS. It has the iEFIS G3 CPU and runs the exact same firmware as the full iEFIS system. However, this powerhouse contains a built-in GPS, AHRS (with gyros and accelerometers), airspeed pressure sensor as well as altimeter. It also has a built in OAT sensor (but an external one can be fitted). It contains a CAN bus and can be connected to any MGL Avionics CAN bus devices (such as external compass, RDAC (engine box) and servos). There are 2 RS-232 ports for connection to remote radios, transponders and ADS-B units (maximum 2 devices).The "Lite" is a stand-alone system unlike our normal iEFIS systems where you can have multiple, joined panels in a complex infrastructure. It is specifically designed for single-screen installations where simplicity is desired.

The MGL Avionics "Lite" series products are straight forward to install and make great panels for many smaller aircraft that would like a sophisticated EFIS without the cost and complication of a large system.

A typical Lite system would contain: The Discovery-Lite panel, a RDAC for engine monitoring (if needed), and perhaps a SP-6 compass.

Discovery-Lite is the first "Lite" release. This will quickly be followed by a regular Discovery EFIS. After this MGL Avionics will release the Explorer-Lite and a Challenger-Lite to complete the iEFIS range.

The Discovery-Lite could be viewed as a direct replacement for the popular discontinued Enigma. It is similar in panel size but with a bigger, much higher resolution screen and of course is a powerhouse of functionality where needed...

The Discovery-Lite will start shipping in the next 6 weeks. Projected price is under $3,000 for a complete system.

Come visit us at EAA Airventure 2014 to see it in person. Hangar B, Booths 2139-2140.
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs187/1102692382577/img/54.jpg

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs187/1102692382577/img/53.jpg

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs187/1102692382577/img/52.jpg

About MGL Avionics:

MGL Avionics' mission is to provide top-performing flight instrumentation at all levels at affordable prices for the Experimental and LSA markets, with the express aim of helping to lower the overall cost of aircraft ownership and private flight. MGL Avionics have sold tens of thousands of instruments since 2001. The current product line includes large and small screen EFISs, the first Touchscreen EFIS in the Experimental world, a full range of both 2 1/4" and 3 1/8" digital flight and engine instruments, autopilots and aviation VHF radios.

Please contact us with any further questions.

Sincerely,

Matt Liknaitzky
MGL Avionics US

Timberwolf
08-06-2014, 10:19 AM
I like it. In the mean time, why aren't these systems including the engine monitoring as part of the package deal? I've been waiting on getting the GRT for fear that as soon as I do someone will come out with a better screen/system with engine monitoring for much cheaper. Sure it's always a risk with technology, but no one out there is offering what I'm looking for in a complete package. I'm glad to see more systems have integrated GPS/AHRS, but why not also include the ADS-B receiver. All it is is a simple RX. They've already got the hardware and software in place to decode the signal and produce useful info so why not install the $20 hardware receiver and make it a useful system? Glad to see more of these companies innovating.

Esser
08-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I saw this system last week. Very cool. Engine monitoring module for it for a rotax was $350 bucks or around there if im not mistaken.