PDA

View Full Version : Door hinges for SS

tucsonchris
05-30-2009, 10:43 AM
This may not be a big deal, but I thought I'd put it out there---

I'm building a SS and I have a discrepancy between the plans drawing and the supplied stock. I'll try to make this understandable---but it seems like the goal of the final hinge is to have 2 interlocking leaves per hinge. That way the door has 2 points of support per hinge on each hinge pin. However as you can see from the pictures, this is not possible with the supplied stock.

My question is: Is it OK to cut the supplied stock into quarters (thus yielding the 1.5 inch width necessary) but sacrificing the extra support, as now one side of the hinge will only have one support on the hinge pin. I hope this makes sense, and maybe it is not a big deal, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Chris in Tucson

SkyPirate
05-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I would think it would be OK..as long as there are at least 3 barrels,.4 would be better,...I wouldn't do 2 barrels ,..2 barrels would have an induce twist putting strain on the connect points.
Just to be sure I would contact John at kitfox and ask him,..,..what will make the difference is what the pin for the hinge is made of,..if it is also aluminum ,then 4 would be better,.if it's stainless or steel,..then 3 would be sufficient,..

Chase

actually ,..I think the pin gets replaced with a bolt doesn't it ?.. .I know the model 2 I owned had a AN pin with a cotter pin for easy removal of the door.

Dave S
05-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Chris,

The door hinge material which came for my series 7 had 13 leaves - not 12 ; and, the cutting worked out exactly as the plans showed - 1/2 leaf on each end and two full leaves in the middle.

Not knowing anything else from my point of view - It looks to me like your hinge material may have been cut one leaf too short.

Otherwise - a plans change may have occurred and you didn't get the right plan sheet.

They both can't be right.

I can't speak to the issue of whether or not cutting by starting with a full leaf rather than a half leaf would make a practical difference. In both cases you have the same hinge length; however, one way you have three shear points on the hinge pin and on the other you have two shear points on the pin.

I'd give John Mc Bean a call before assuming it is OK to use the material with 12 leaves - it may be OK - but John will know the answer for sure.

Sincerely,

Dave Syverson
Kitfox 7 Trigear
St Paul, MN