PDA

View Full Version : No low point fuel sump drain?

beeryboats
07-21-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm refurbishing my KF IV after ten years of sleep. It looks like the header tank is half full of very old nasty fuel. I see the lowest point in the fuel system is under the seat, but there is no fuel sump drain. Seems to me this would be the perfect place to sump the fuel, and be able to drain the whole system. I don't think I want to try and drain the tank in the fuselage. I may have to unhook the fuel line at the engine and tip the old girl on her nose.:eek: Or better yet, hook up an electric fuel pump....

Oneninerwhiskey
07-21-2014, 07:14 PM
There should be a drain cock on the bottom of the header tank. If not be sure there is one on the new tank if you replace the original.

beeryboats
07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll take another look now that I have the seat and cargo bag out. It's the old poly tank which I do plan on changing out. That would make changing the tank easy. But I still wonder about no drain under the lowest point.

Dravenelle
07-23-2014, 06:41 AM
mine is a kitfox traildragger and my
lowest point is just under the pilot seat

the inspector say put a drain in my rigid line just
under the seat

the water go in the lowest point on your fuel system

sorry for my poor english;))))

dave

beeryboats
07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Have you put the drain in yet? I would love to see a photo of how you did it. Mine is a tail dragger too, real airplanes have tail wheels you know. If you want, PM me and I'll send you my email address so you can send photos easier.
Jay

beeryboats
07-24-2014, 07:03 PM
There should be a drain cock on the bottom of the header tank. If not be sure there is one on the new tank if you replace the original.

I was showing a friend my KF and didn't see a tank drain. Is it a recessed flat plug in the bottom by chance?

Oneninerwhiskey
07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
The flat plug is probably where the sump drain should have been. There should also be an access porthole in the belly fabric with an aluminum tube mounted vertically in the fabric to isolate the drain from the cabin. I would send a photo but my Fox is at a welding shop for some minor frame repair. Perhaps another member could post one or the page from the construction manual.

beeryboats
07-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Would the vertical tube go to a flare "T" fitting in the supply line? Or is it short rubber lines and hose clamps? As I remember the supply line has a radicle bend in it right at the low point.

kitfoxnick
07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
I have a parker toggle style drain valve just below my header tank.
It works great a quick flick and I get my sample.

Dravenelle
07-28-2014, 08:21 PM
sorry for delay , i'm in vacation when i return
i take a picture for you guy's

dave

Dravenelle
07-31-2014, 01:34 PM
picture of my flush drain at the lowest point in my fuel
system ( the rigid fuel line bottom of my seat)

dave

beeryboats
07-31-2014, 05:33 PM
What I need to know is how is it supported on the inside? Or is it supported at all? I took some photos of the fuel line in my bird with my phone, I just need to download them and post them.

edit: Is there something in the build manual about this drain point?

Dravenelle
07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
mine i have a "T" fitting on the fuel line
and a adell clamps to old the T with the body

work very well.

dave