PDA

View Full Version : Is the a Kitfox my plane?

Bruinpilot
07-21-2014, 01:46 PM
I have been considering building a kitplane for some time, but I am still in the research phase. I am quite interested in the kitfox 7. My main mission for the aircraft is affordability. I'm not talking construction costs, but operating, fuel and storage costs. I am curious if anyone here has much experience with folding the wings and trailering the aircraft. Is folding them a big difficult deal? Can I do it myself? The kitfox is a little too big to keep in my garage, but I am thinking that a storage unit might be very cost effective as opposed to a hangar. (Where I live, the hangars run around $300 per month.) Does anyone have any experience with this?

If I have to rent a hangar anyway, I will probably build a rv or glasair. However, if I can get an airplane such as the kitfox that is easy to fold and store more cheaply, I think that I would be sold on it. Thanks for the info!

Agfoxflyer
07-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I trailered my Kitfox to the airport for several months when I lost access to a hanger I was sharing. I had a trailer made for the Kitfox and folding and unfolding wings was easy. Always did it by myself. Key was to unfold wings while still on trailer. You just need to pay attention when moving wings to be sure flaperons are in the proper position. You have to adjust them while moving wings.

Micro Mong Bldr
07-21-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't trailer mine, but the folding wings make it possible to share a hangar with my friend's Sonex, That's a significant savings here in New England.

Bruinpilot
07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Do you think it would be feasible to keep a kitfox 7 in a nice enclosed trailer and skip the hangar expense?

Av8r3400
07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
It has been done beforeā€¦

Do a search of the forum on trailers. You need to be sure to get the correct enclosed trailer so that you plane will fit through the door.

jiott
07-22-2014, 10:05 AM
FWIW, I originally had planned to trailer my Kitfox to and from the airport to save hangar expense, but quickly found out it was a major hassle that would eliminate spur of the moment evening flights, etc. Nothing is difficult about it, but the trailer loading/unloading, need to drain fuel before wing folding, braces, tie backs, refueling and then the reverse process when done flying becomes a pain. Compared to a hangared plane you can just jump in and go. I searched until I found a cheap hangar on a small grass strip (yes the roof leaks and there are mice and birds) but I can deal with that.

Bruinpilot
07-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Wow. Thanks for that info. So the wings cannot be folded without draining the fuel... Fascinating.

HansLab
07-22-2014, 12:27 PM
The wings CAN be folded while filled up - but it'll be a mess when you return if you leave more than 20-25 liters in it (don't ask how I know...)
I fold my wings every weekend.
Keep on researchin'!

Dave S
07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Patrick,

Fuel in the tank is an issue as the fuel cap is on the outboard side of the wing tanks and when the wings are folded, the outboard end of the wing tanks becomes the low end when the plane sits on it's tail - although a tail wheel is already on it's tail, a trigear will sit on it's tailskid too when the wings swing back & the weight shifts.

Doesn't mean zero fuel, just low enough so the level doesn't slosh out the fill. The wings do need to be braced so any bouncing will not damage anything traveling, fuel left on board inreases the stress on the spar & ribs to some extend if left unsupported. (I didn't want to spend the time building the braces and lockbacks & got the standard ones from John - works great)

Although I don't routinely fold the wings, even in my unpracticed state I find I can swing & secure them easily within 15 minutes.

Dave S

martinbguk
07-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Hi, I keep my mk3 in an enclosed trailer.
The hangar at our airfield is a little cramped so apart from draining the wings and folding them it's not a big difference in terms of hassle. No one is in front of my trailer.
I drain the tanks with a "jiggle" syphon (ball in a brass valve that rattles when you jiggle it)
Back into a jerry can. I stand the can on a little stool so it's a quick (30 seconds or so per tank) and hands free. When the syphon stops the tanks are empty enough to food the wings.
The more you do it the more you get used to it.
I sometimes wish for a hangar when I'm doing maintenance but I just borrow a space.
I'm happy with my trailer as the cost saving is about 4 hours flying on uk avgas rates.
Martin

kmach
07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I fold the wings out and back every flight.

I filled the tanks when in the folded position and marked the fuel placards, now if the fuel is at or below those marks when ready to fold the wings no draining is required.

This ends up a little above half full ( flight ready wings out ).

Micro Mong Bldr
07-22-2014, 04:25 PM
As little as the fuel burn is with the HKS, I keep it at about 1/2 full, put in a couple gallons before flying. Then no folding problems.

Bruinpilot
07-22-2014, 06:17 PM
That is good news. It puts the kitfox back into the running for me. Does anyone know if there are any stress of fatigue issues with trailering while half full of fuel since the wing is at that point only supported by the hinges?

jrevens
07-22-2014, 07:08 PM
The wing is still supported by the lift struts.

Bruinpilot
07-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I forgot to ask, will half tanks work also on the conventional gear model? If I build a plane, it has got to be a taildragger :)

kmach
07-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Kitfox Outback's are taildraggers. so everything in my previous post is relevant for your future taildragger.

Really they all become "taildraggers" or tail low when you fold the wing , and the weight shifts to the rear.;)

Bruinpilot
07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the good info. The kitfox may be my bird. If I can keep it in a trailer, the savings may equal between 30-60 extra flight hours per year, which in my opinion, more than makes up for any of my perceived drawbacks.

For those of you keeping your bird in a trailer, might I ask how much the trailer set up you are using cost.

Also, I'm a little curious. I have noticed many kitfoxes using 3 bladed props. Is there a clearance issue, especially with wheel takeoffs and landings making this helpful? If I build, I plan on using the o235, and don't know if you can put a 3 bladed on that power plant. Thanks again for the good info.

Bruinpilot
07-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Would this work to haul and store the kitfox? http://m.ebay.com/itm/181460609980?nav=SEARCH

Just trying I get an idea. Thanks.

Av8r3400
07-23-2014, 01:05 PM
It would greatly depend on the door opening.

I don't remember for sure, but I think you need at least 96" for the folded wings to fit.

Dutch
07-23-2014, 02:33 PM
It doesnt apear to have a wide enough door (78"). I think 96" is just barely enough.
Dutch

896tr
07-26-2014, 06:58 PM
With the wings folded your looking at 96 inches leading edge to leading edge straight across the fuselage. The horizontal stabilizer is also 96 inches wide, at least those are the dimensions on my series 6.

Steve

ken nougaret
07-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Im still building my SS but ive had the wings on and off several times. I've been interested in trailering with an enclosed trailer from the start so i took measurements of the wings folded. To my disaappointment my measurement was 97.25" before covering. This eliminates nearly every 8.5' wide trailer out there. You can find some with a 98" door opening but do you really want to give yourself only 1/4" clearance per side? Still looking.
Ken

kitfox2009
07-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi Guys
I just yesterday posted pics of my newly completed "Covered Wagon" for my Vixen.
The outside width is 102 inches, weighs less than 2000 lbs and tows very well.
look on my Albums under Covered Wagon.
May give you some ideas for a trailer.
Cheers
Don

neville
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Depending on the amount of padding used between the vertical stabilizer
and the flaperon the overall horizontal dimension of the folded wings will be
more than 96". I use the factory pad and have 99".

Attached are two pics of arrival at the airport and after unload.

ken nougaret
07-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Nice job on your covered wagon don.

Sounds like your measurement is correct Neville.

Olle1975
02-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Hi!

My experience with this..... :-)

KLICK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maVjmcx6e-g)

Olaf