PDA

View Full Version : Folded Wing brace specs

Mcslamma
07-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm about to bring home a Kitfox IV-1200, in a week or so, does anyone have a dimention for the wing braces used for trailering, or should I measure and make something up, as the owner/builder said he can't find them. 1994 model. Thanks

beeryboats
07-18-2014, 07:26 PM
When I brought mine home last fall, I brought a 10' length of 1/2" electrical conduit cut in half, a hack saw, and a hand sledge hammer. A large ball peen hammer would work as well. I folded the wings back, and took a good look at what I needed the support to look like. I hammered one end of a strut flat for about two inches. I bent the tab over until the conduit pointed toward the leading edge and marked it close to where I would need to hammer the other end flat. I marked the side to hit so it would be flat against the wing. Wham, wham, bend, bend, cut, and I had one done. I drilled a couple holes, and Bob's your uncle, I had one done. Lather, rinse, repeat and the other side is done as well. It is important to get your angles right and you may want to put some padding like a leather washer between the support and the wing. Making the supports was by far the easiest part of that day, but it was a day I will never forget.

edit: I could send you mine if you like.

Mcslamma
07-19-2014, 04:47 AM
That's great, I will do just that, I thank you and appreciate the response, I might drop by the metal supermarket and pick up some tubeing instead, or just buy conduit as you used, either or, that is awsom info and will do the trick. I have about a two and a half hr haul for this thing, straight highway for the most part. Thankyou

beeryboats
07-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Mine was a day from Hell. My rental trailer was 2" too narrow, my friend had a trailer, but his truck died, and we ended up on a freshly chip sealed road. Oh, and it was raining the whole time! It would have been like National Lampoon Vacation except we didn't have a dead Aunt tied to the roof of the car.

cgruby
07-19-2014, 04:09 PM
When I brought mine home last fall, I brought a 10' length of 1/2" electrical conduit cut in half, a hack saw, and a hand sledge hammer. A large ball peen hammer would work as well. I folded the wings back, and took a good look at what I needed the support to look like. I hammered one end of a strut flat for about two inches. I bent the tab over until the conduit pointed toward the leading edge and marked it close to where I would need to hammer the other end flat. I marked the side to hit so it would be flat against the wing. Wham, wham, bend, bend, cut, and I had one done. I drilled a couple holes, and Bob's your uncle, I had one done. Lather, rinse, repeat and the other side is done as well. It is important to get your angles right and you may want to put some padding like a leather washer between the support and the wing. Making the supports was by far the easiest part of that day, but it was a day I will never forget.

edit: I could send you mine if you like.

Pardon me, I don't mean to steel the thread, but I have a Type III and cold use braces on mine also. Where do they attach?

Regards,

beeryboats
07-19-2014, 05:28 PM
From the bottom end of the wing strut to the bolt hole on the leading edge. You have to remove the nut from the bolt that holds the lower strut fitting, attach the support, and re-install the nut. At the wing end the support goes under the leading edge and you only use the bottom bolt hole. I don't think I would use the long wing bolt. Maybe you can, I didn't want to risk it.

t j
07-20-2014, 10:54 AM
If your plane has float fittings, use the rear fitting tab holes to attach the support tube at the bottom of the wing strut.

I don't like using bolts in the spar fitting as the threads act like a file when inserting and removing. Pins made out of longer bolts.

wheelerg
07-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Can I get the diameter of the pipe in the pic? also is it aluminum or galvanized????

thanks in advance, I plan on making the same setup

cgruby
07-20-2014, 09:21 PM
From the bottom end of the wing strut to the bolt hole on the leading edge. You have to remove the nut from the bolt that holds the lower strut fitting, attach the support, and re-install the nut. At the wing end the support goes under the leading edge and you only use the bottom bolt hole. I don't think I would use the long wing bolt. Maybe you can, I didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for the info.

cgruby
07-20-2014, 09:22 PM
If your plane has float fittings, use the rear fitting tab holes to attach the support tube at the bottom of the wing strut.

I don't like using bolts in the spar fitting as the threads act like a file when inserting and removing. Pins made out of longer bolts.

Tha pictures help out a lot, thanks.

t j
07-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Can I get the diameter of the pipe in the pic? also is it aluminum or galvanized????

thanks in advance, I plan on making the same setup

The tubing is 3/4" metallic electrical conduit. The top pin is made from a 5/16" bolt and the bottom pin from a 1/4" bolt.

You're welcome.

wheelerg
07-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much

Mcslamma
07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi TJ, Could I get the overall lengths of the 5/16" bolts and the 1/4" bolts that you made the pins out of, I have not the airplane yet, so I will make them up in advance. I will also use 3/4 conduit, so the lengths I will make should be the same..Thanks again for all info..

t j
07-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi TJ, Could I get the overall lengths of the 5/16" bolts and the 1/4" bolts that you made the pins out of, I have not the airplane yet, so I will make them up in advance. I will also use 3/4 conduit, so the lengths I will make should be the same..Thanks again for all info..

After I cut the threads off both, the top and bottom bolts are 3 and 1/2 inches measured from under side of the head to end of the shank.

On both top and bottom pins a 3/32" safety pin hole is drilled 3 and 1/8th inches from under side of the head to put the safety pin through.

The cushion I use between the wing spar and support brace is 3/16" thick rubber belting.

Mcslamma
07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
That's awsom, not having to re-invent the wheel is great, I bought 10' of conduit today for $4.50, and will make pins as per your handy specs and I will be a little more prepaired, thanks again..

Mcslamma
08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Got her home on Sunday, smoth sailing, no issues to worry about, thanks to TJ for info on Transport Strut Braces, worked beautifully, and I was Glad they were on, Coming through Sudbury Ontario, those roads leave lots to be desired, No damage though, and Can't wait to get her Flying...

Micro Mong Bldr
10-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Wouldn't 1/2" EMT he strong enough?
Thanks.

Dave S
10-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Wouldn't 1/2" EMT he strong enough?
Thanks.

Depends on the quality of the road a person intends to travel on;).....Some potholes may demand 4130 tubing to avoid embarrasment;)

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive