PDA

View Full Version : Flapperon Fuselage Bearings

cgruby
07-17-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm rebuilding a type III damaged in a towing accident. All is complete, painted and assembled. I have a real issue with the flapperon fuselage bearings. With all the structural work being done, replacing the cabin top and rebuilding wings, I find that the flapperon to fuselage bearings clearances between each side is noticeable different. The right flapperon contacts the quarter turn fastener mount when stowing the wing (bearing material removed), while the left side clears by an inch.

I'm of an opinion that possibly these bearings are a little over-kill and may not be necessary at all. Anyone got an qualified opinion about it?

I haven't resolved the reason there is a difference between the two sides. All the measurements when installing the cabin top checked out.

Cheers,

Peteohms
07-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Chuck, I replaced mine when I bought my Kitfox III. I had to make new ones and the plans bearings did not fit. So I made a pattern out of cardboard,for each side separately.

I believe you need the bearings. Don't leave them off. That being said I probably had a couple dozen hours on my Kitfox before I replaced mine, which had pieces broken off.

Av8r3400
07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
On the early planes with the extended ribs, these are not optional. They must be there and fit properly or flutter is a major concern.

Av8r_Sed
07-17-2014, 08:34 PM
I consider them essential. On my III, I had some clearance issues for wing folding and ended up installing the lower half of the bearings on hinges.

cgruby
07-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks Paul. The hinge idea is a good one. It may resolve my issue.

cgruby
07-17-2014, 08:48 PM
On the early planes with the extended ribs, these are not optional. They must be there and fit properly or flutter is a major concern.

Thanks for info. I shall be sure they are installed before flying.

cgruby
07-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Chuck, I replaced mine when I bought my Kitfox III...

Thanks Pete for the info. I'll be sure and install mine before flight.