PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox IV fatality

lbushrod
05-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just got news of the loss of a good friend in Apple Valley. He was taking off in a Suburu powered model 4 and lost the engine at about 200'. From the initial description, he tried to turn back to the field.

I could not believe it! He was an experienced GA pilot with a several hundred hours of time. He was a large man and the model 4 was heavy built. Apple Valley is high desert on a warm day so density altitude reduced his performance.

Still, initiating a turn back in relatively flat terrain did not make sense to me, he knew better. Why did he not put it down straight in?

Turns out that he did line up on a paved road parallel to the runway but there were several bike riders on it that would have been injured if he attempted to set down. He made a slight turn to avoid them and stalled out then nosed in. His neck was broken and he died instantly.

The effort that cost his life was rather heroic in avoiding the bikers.

Aside from the sad loss, it once again enlightens the potential for danger in what we do.

It would be worthy for new pilots to read comments from this forum concerning the most important emergency procedures. Losing an engine on take-off has killed lots of pilots.

Fly safely,

Pete

SkyPirate
05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Sorry for your loss of a friend Pete,..from what you said he sounds like he was a very conscious person,..considering his options and the route he chose to avoid injury to others..I commend and salute him.

Chase

Dorsal
05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Very sorry to hear, a sobering reminder indeed.

kitfoxnick
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I to am so sorry to hear of your loss. For me the 1st 500' are sometimes unnerving not many options.

Brett
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Living in Apple Valley myself and having met Harvey.....He will be missed, to be sure.

DesertFox4
05-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Pete, Brett and the entire Kitfox community, my sympathies in the loss of your friend and one of our Kitfox family.

Pete wrote-
Still, initiating a turn back in relatively flat terrain did not make sense to me, he knew better. Why did he not put it down straight in?Pete, after hundreds of hours hangar flying with every type pilot there is, there seems to be one universal concern pilots have when facing the fact of risk in flying. They can all accept the risk faced every time they decide to defy gravity but they universally say "I just don't want to take anyone else with me if my time is up". Harvey had literally a couple seconds to decide what course of action to take. Sounds like he tried to adhere to his training and experience. That's what always kicks in when emergencies happen. Like many pilots have had to do, he overrode his training so as not to injure or kill others. We've seen it time and time again when a military or civilian aviator stays with his/her stricken aircraft long enough to steer it away from civilians on the ground. Sometime staying with the aircraft too long and paying the price with their lives. Could that be the case here? I will suspect yes until otherwise proven. We all deserve that consideration. In that line of thinking, like Chase did, I'm throwing a salute to Harvey. Well done Harvey.
R.I.P.

To all the fledgling pilots- pay attention to your instructors during emergency training . It may save your life someday. One engine out on take off is enough to last me. Thank God I didn't have to make the same decision Harvey had to.

lbushrod
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I thank each of you for your kind words. Some of you knew my friend so our loss is shared. I hope to see his widow and family this weekend. I will share your sympathies and condolences.

He will be talked about, good stories, in our hangars for some time.

Thanks again,

pete

jdmcbean
05-29-2009, 08:40 AM
It would be worthy for new pilots to read comments from this forum concerning the most important emergency procedures. Losing an engine on take-off has killed lots of pilots.
Pete

Pete,
Our sympathies in the loss of a friend and one of our Kitfox family. Harvey will be missed.

Slyfox
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I agree about the most reliable engine. But anymore, people are wanting all the bells and whistles on their airplanes with no thought to weight. Now that can mean going cheap on the engine and putting in a lead weight and than putting all the fancy doodads inside. An airplane flys its best when it's light. I'm really sorry about this fatality and it saddens me. But if the plane would have been lighter... who knows, maybe he would have had a few more seconds and another option. Something to think about.

Renard
06-01-2009, 02:11 PM
It is so frightening to be have an engine failure on takeoff. I have had four. Only one fortunately with a single engine. The most sinking feeling I have had is the thought that "this thing is not going to fly. I'm going down somewhere." In my case there was a farmers field and both the plane and I walked out with only minimum damage to the plane. Your friend sounds like a true hero, keeping others from getting hurt
Chuck

Slyfox
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
last night I had a problem with my RV on takeoff. The power went down and started runing rough. I continued the best I could until I got to 600ft. I than told the tower I was coming back for the parrallel rwy opposite direction. Sure I could have been all flipped out and such, but I do this stuff all the time in the kitfox. I focused on airspeed and made a right turn first and than left, maintaining airspeed, I didn't give a care about rpm or anything else, except airspeed and the amount of angle of attack, I kept the airspeed up and the angle as little as possible. At the same time I was making sure the prop was flat, the mixture rich, turned on the aux fuel pump and switched tanks, nothing helped. I even tried leaning a little. Now I'm turned around, which was done right over the departing runway, now I needed to get down, full flaps and slipped major and made the left runway. beautiful landing, later found the injectors got plugged up.

I make practice flights like this all the time, I even had this type of thing happen on the kitfox, did the same thing then also. I tell ya, when it does happen it's like slow motion, any kind of problem will go into slow motion mode. If you practice emergency flying, like returning back for landing, when it happens it will be second nature and just happen. I don't feel I was lucky last night, I just flew the plane.

DesertFox4
06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Good job Steve. Your training and practice payed off.

"Fly the airplane."

lbushrod
06-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just returned from the Memorial for Harvey Leyde in Corona. Spent time with his wife Cheryl and his two sons and family. It was very touching with a flight of three Stearman in the "Missing Man" formation.

I had printed the comments on this thread for her and she is grateful for your kind thoughts.

I am also grateful for them and the priviledge of knowing Harvey just as I am grateful for the many friends I get to fly with.

There are many dangerous hobbies that people enjoy, probably more dangerous than flying. Often people are hurt, sometimes we experience a fatality, nearly all accidents are preventable with experience, judgment and wisdom.

If Harvey had survived, he would put the plane back together and go flying again, so would I.

Pete