PDA

View Full Version : rotec tbi

ken nougaret
06-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Hello all,
i know there probably aren't many of you running an o200, that is what i will be putting on my ss. I am considering the tbi since i would have to have my carb overhauled if i was to use it. I had seen a tbi for sale some time ago from a guy in s.Africa i believe because his DAR would not allow it. I have not spoken to a Dar yet and was wondering if anyone else has had such an issue. The engine was overhauled by me and not run yet. Would i be safer starting with an overhauled carb? And if anyone has experience with the rotec tbi.
Thanks, ken

Av8r3400
06-28-2014, 05:31 PM
It's experimental. You could use a long scat tube and a windex spray bottle full of gas. But, I wouldn't recommend it… :eek:

I've heard very good things about the Rotec TBI units. IMO it would be a good choice.

Paul Z
06-28-2014, 05:41 PM
I looked at a Kitfox V that was for sale with an O 200 in it. It flew great, the plane was rough condition.

cubtractor
06-29-2014, 05:55 AM
I would think the Rotec unit would work great. I use the Ellison TBI which is what they are all based off of and it works great. Much better fuel atomization. Below is Ellisons video. It's a little old but it shows the principle of the throttle body system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szv3ZBSJjw&index=10&list=FLH7E6Chx2hyJsvwZHf6lAcw

Danzer1
06-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Ken,

You shouldn't have a problem with a DAR here in the states - I think the rules are different in SA - but it would pay to check anyway.

If you can overhaul an engine, you should be able to overhaul a carb too. It's not that hard and you could buy quite a few carb rebuild kits for the price of a TBI.

That said, keep in mind, the TBI requires the addition of a primer for starting.

And does not eliminate the need for carb heat (if that's a concern where you fly).

It would add another variable when tuning in a fresh engine, but once dialed in (from what I hear) most have reported good results.

Greg

ken nougaret
06-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like the tbi is the way to go.

Marshawk
06-29-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a rotec TBI on a soob ,it runs smooth an fires up instantly, a bit of learning curve setting it up but I would recommend it for sure,it will run on gravity pressure from the wing tanks also but I also have a fuel pump installed

ken nougaret
06-30-2014, 06:38 AM
marshawk,
what kind of pump are you using? psi? is it in the cockpit or under the cowling?
thanks, ken

Marshawk
06-30-2014, 07:20 AM
Hi Ken,its a faucet pump,not sure of the number off the top .of my head,I think it psi was 3 or 5 psi and located under the passenger seat. Rotec will give you the range of the psi for what ever tbi you buy

trallen68
02-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Hi Ken,its a faucet pump,not sure of the number off the top .of my head,I think it psi was 3 or 5 psi and located under the passenger seat. Rotec will give you the range of the psi for what ever tbi you buy

I'm using the TBI on an O200 with a Faucet pump. Did you run the return line back to the tank that is shown in the Rotec manual?

Rooster
02-22-2016, 04:12 AM
Hello Ken.

That person in SA is me.

I bought a KF5 with the Ellison Body in it and my Maintainance MAN didn't want me to fly with it because he doesn't like them.
He sourced a MA3 SPA for me and I still have the Ellison.

Send me a personal mail if you are interested. (in why he didn't like it and also if you want it).

My motor is a Franklin and after much chatting with the Franklin guys in the States, I see they are talking to Rotec about a throttle body for the Franklin.

Kind regards
Reid.

ken nougaret
02-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Hello Ken.

That person in SA is me.

I bought a KF5 with the Ellison Body in it and my Maintainance MAN didn't want me to fly with it because he doesn't like them.
He sourced a MA3 SPA for me and I still have the Ellison.

Send me a personal mail if you are interested. (in why he didn't like it and also if you want it).

My motor is a Franklin and after much chatting with the Franklin guys in the States, I see they are talking to Rotec about a throttle body for the Franklin.

Kind regards
Reid.
Thanks for the offer, but i bought rotec tbi already. Havent run it yet. Hopefully in a few months. Ken

Lynn Matteson
07-02-2016, 03:07 AM
I ran the Rotec TBI for over 1000 hours on my Jabiru engine, until the engine let go...it is a very good unit, and I would recommend it. I wanted to try running my engine LOP, and this unit does that very easily. As far as the primer that somebody mentioned, it comes as part of the TBI...you just have to run a cable to it (or operate it with a solenoid) and rig up a means to depress the primer button...very simple operation.

Lynn

ken nougaret
07-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Lynn, i recently cranked the O-200 with the rotec tbi. Only ground run at this point. At first the idle wouldnt hold below 1000. I turned the idle adjust screw 1/4 turn out and i get a 550 idle. Did you find this adjustment so sensitive? Thanks, Ken

Lynn Matteson
07-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Lynn, i recently cranked the O-200 with the rotec tbi. Only ground run at this point. At first the idle wouldnt hold below 1000. I turned the idle adjust screw 1/4 turn out and i get a 550 idle. Did you find this adjustment so sensitive? Thanks, Ken

It's been so long since I had to touch the idle screw that I can't recall, but I could get my idle down to about 400 rpm using just the vernier throttle knob...that's on a Jabiru with my homebuilt tuned intake system.

Lynn