PDA

View Full Version : (un)Necessary gauges

jrthomas
05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
There's alot of knowledge and experience here-What's your opinion of fuel pressure gauges? Useful or not? What about manifold pressure gauges? My kit came with one.

SkyPirate
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
which motor is on your kit jr?

jrthomas
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I should have said-It's a 912ul.It came with a manifold pressure gauge so I used it.I'm just not sure why except the hole was there in the panel for it.I don't think I'll have much control over manifold pressure.I have a fuel pressure gauge not installed yet but my Rotax service tech says it's unnecessary.What's your opinion?

SkyPirate
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
hmmm where is the sensor located for the pressure,. the reason why I ask,..I'm wondering if the location was intended for an EGT,..Exhaust Gas Temp in the panel

to be completely honest I have not messed with the 912's much yet,.I believe that ussually manifold pressure instrumentation is installed when a constant speed prop is going to be used,.correct me if I'm wrong :)

jrthomas
05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks SkyPirate, The gauge I have is mechanical-Does not use a sender. I haven't installed anything yet but a "T" is to be placed in the fuel line after the engine fuel pump and a wet line to gauge. It's a higher quality (higher priced) gauge than the electronic gauge but I don't feel too comfortable with another fuel line pumping gas toward me. I wondered what others are doing. As for as the manifold pressure gauge goes, it's instaled and working so I'll probably leave it. You're probably right about its purpose.

Slyfox
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
don't need either.

kitfoxnick
05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Unless you have an adjustable prop don't see a need for a man press guage. As far as a fuel pressure I'd save the hole for a fuel flow guage. I installed one about 20 hours ago and absolutly love it.
Nick W.

DesertFox4
05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
fuel pressure gauge on the high side of the pump will indicate a fuel pump failure but I think you'd know that before the gauge would catch your eye anyway when it got very quiet and the cooling fan on the front of the engine stopped turning.
Like other said the Man. Pres. gauge is useful for a controllable prop set up.
With a fixed pitch prop you have no control over M.P. except throttle position.