PDA

View Full Version : Butt Rib question

Danh
06-20-2014, 06:53 AM
I'm fitting the butt ribs on the 7SS
Is it normal to have such a tight fit and have to cut the butt fit brackets to make it work? Also the aft end of the rib covers 1/2 of the wing mounting bolt? Seam abnormal compared to other photos I've seen online
The #1 rib is set 35 1/2 " from #3 rib center to center and all ribs of the quick build wing are in the proper location. I see some people are reversing the rib to the other side with the bigger lop facing inward, is this working ok? Any regrets
Thanks

Danh
06-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Another pic

Dick B in KY
06-20-2014, 08:26 AM
When building my SS7 I found it best to - Swap the ribs from side to side, this will give more edge distance on the overhead glass when installing (less chance of breakout), screws and nuts to the inside. It is normal to have to trim the tail of the butt rib to clear the aft bolt.

Dick B

jiott
06-20-2014, 10:50 AM
I agree with Dick.

Danh
06-20-2014, 11:45 AM
It sure fits better that way

rosslr
06-20-2014, 03:22 PM
I also did the same.

Ross
Mt Beauty, Vic
OZ

Danh
06-23-2014, 07:33 AM
So all of you that have reversed the ribs have had no problem or regrets after installing the ribs opposite of the manual.

Dick B in KY
06-23-2014, 12:22 PM
None.

Dick B

HighWing
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I have to agree here. I have built two Model IVs and just checked the manual. The butt rib is installed with the capstrip extension inboard. The only issue that may come up from that is if you use screws to install the windshield/skylight. It will made a bit more challeging tightening the nuts. I used nutplates for this reason.

I suspect the instructions to put the capstrip extension outboard is a misprint that somehow crept into the new manual. Or possibly an alteration of the original instructions to facilitate the subsequent installation of the windshield without then modifying the dimensions of the mounting parts.

jiott
06-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I actually installed the butt ribs with cap extension outboard, as stated in the manual. I have had no trouble with this but care is needed because the skylight screw holes are quite close to the edge. To help this situation I trimmed the skylight plexiglass out beyond the edge of the butt rib capstrip by about 3/16" so the plexi overlaps the gap between butt rib and wing rib #1. This all worked out fine, but if I were to do it over again I would reverse the butt rib cap extension to the inside like many of you are doing.

Danh
06-24-2014, 06:30 AM
Cool thanks for all the help and advice I am going to reverse the ribs,
Then do I cut the rib clean off just short of the Spar mounting bolt.?

jdmcbean
06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
I have to agree here. I have built two Model IVs and just checked the manual. The butt rib is installed with the capstrip extension inboard. The only issue that may come up from that is if you use screws to install the windshield/skylight. It will made a bit more challeging tightening the nuts. I used nutplates for this reason.

I suspect the instructions to put the capstrip extension outboard is a misprint that somehow crept into the new manual. Or possibly an alteration of the original instructions to facilitate the subsequent installation of the windshield without then modifying the dimensions of the mounting parts.

Actually it is not a misprint....
DanH.. sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to your email..
The earlier manuals did indeed have the cap strip facing inboard.
We made the change many years ago and put the cap strip outboard for a couple of reasons. One is access to the windshield mounting hardware.. fold the wing back and one has complete access to the mounting hardware.. and the second is appearance... the hardware is not seen from within the cockpit. We also set the butt rib about .040 higher then the #1 rib and the windshield is trimmed to overhang the #1 rib about .125.
The butt rib brackets need to be trimmed accordingly.
One can indeed install the butt ribs in either direction..
You can notice the buttrib tail in the first photo..

Danh
06-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Thank you kindly John,
We appreciate the feed back and pictures
Looks like builders choice,
I'm going with as the manual states with cat strip out, just have to cut off the post from the fuselage and the mounts as necessary,
Dan

jdmcbean
06-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Actually shorten the butt rib bracket itself.. not the post on the fuselage...

Sabre
12-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Noticed that the factory is bolting the butt ribs to the mounting brackets; considering this option. My assumption is that these do not need to be structural and the AN526 series bolts would work fine in this situation? Curious as to thoughts on this?