PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel spring tension?

akarmy
06-02-2014, 01:42 PM
So, what do you do to shorten the links on the tailwheel chain when one link out from both sides make them too tight (under tension) but 1 link added back to both sides makes them too loose? This is with compression springs on an Alaska Bushwheel setup.

It started out just fine when I installed everything, but now as the springs have compressed a bit over the year I've had it installed the tailwheel is getting sloppy.

Seems like there must be a better solution than the link chain, but I've not seen it anywhere.

Av8r3400
06-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Is your suspension spring sagging a little to cause the slack?

If your caster (Kingpin) angle is good, a little slack in the chains won't hurt.

akarmy
06-02-2014, 03:53 PM
The angle is fine. It's the newer 3 leaf spring from Kitfox.

It's more that when taxiing I get almost full deflection (say 2/3 rudder activation) before it hits the chain and starts pulling the wheel around. Just seems like it could be more direct and positive control. Guess that also gives me some play on landing with a crosswind so it's not all bad.

Slyfox
06-02-2014, 05:36 PM
I've tightened mine up with .030 safety wire. worked for me.

I'll try to explain. put one end of the wire through one link, skip one or two and put the other end through that, than wrap the safety wire and tighten to the amount needed to tighten the chain. than do the other side to the same amount.

SkyPirate
06-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I have the chain link with the nut on them,..unscrew it it opens a gap..tighten to close it,..this type link might be the right option since its odd sized in length,..lowes and other hardware stores carry them,..I think $3 a piece

kitfoxnick
06-04-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a model 4 with an abw tail wheel. I think the problem is that the rudder horn doesn't extend low enough, and creates to much upward angle. My plan is to fix this by making an extension piece added to the bottom of the rudder horn. I have been flying the last few months without the tail wheel connected to the rudder.