PDA

View Full Version : Old 912, Service Bulletins, 912 Xtra?

kshogan
05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a Rotax 912 that I purchased in 96, with 0 time on it. It's been in the longest running Kitfox Speedster project ever.... I'm finally closing in on firing up the engine, and have some questions.

1) How can I insure that I review/take care of all service bulletins that may have been issued in the last 10 years.
2) Before I fire it up, can I upgrade it to the 100Hp version via (912 Xtra, or factory parts)
3) Advice on the initial break in process of such an old version.

The engine has been regularly turned over and always plugged. I'm just looking for advice before I start it up and want to maybe give it the latest in HP improvements if possible.

Thanks!

DesertFox4
05-24-2009, 10:10 PM
That's an easy one. Here is a link to the Rotax Owner Assistance Network
R.O.A.N. http://www.rotax-owner.com/

You can register with them and receive the latest updates, service bulletins ect by email. Good idea for every Rotax owner. They have an archive of all past Service bulletins, service letters, alert service bulletins, service instructions and now new videos instructions on Carburetor Synchronization, Clarifying Purging of Lubrication System and others. You can search by engine model or by your engines serial number .

You do not have to register to view service documents or videos but you won't get email updates on your engine if you don't. You can sign in as a guest and view everything.
You'll probably want to bookmark this site for future use.
Good luck guys.

Slyfox
05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
ya, you have bad pins for the rocker arms. Very expensive to replace to the good ones.

DesertFox4
05-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Kelly, you can look up all service bulletins for your engine by your engine's serial number. It will give you everything you need to know and probably put your mind at ease.
You also asked about starting a Rotax that has been sitting so long. It has been done many times as yours is not the only kit that has been incubating a long time. You said it was turned over on a regular basis and keep well sealed. Others have not even gone to that trouble and have been fine. Just make sure the oil system has been properly purged (see Rotax's new video on that procedure). On initial start up make sure oil pressure is attained quickly.
Sync the carbs manually before initial start up (also in a new video) so it runs as smoothly as possible on its first start. Thereafter you can sync the carbs with the vacuum gauges to get the smoothest running engine (also on a new Rotax video).
If I'm forgetting anything crucial someone will post up soon but don't worry too much about the long time in the box unless it's been kept underwater the whole time.;)

As far as upgrading it to the 100hp that's really not possible. I'm unaware of any factory parts to boost the 80 hp. to 100 hp.
The 100 hp has a different stroke and maybe bore also, but I can't recall right now, than the 80 hp. and a higher compression ratio. Even if you use the Xtra pistons and rings you are not going to quite get to 100hp. Know that Rotax really frowns on the Xtra piston conversion but actually several people have had good luck with them. They are not getting 100 hp. but realistically in the 90 to 94 hp. range according to those I've talked to. A nice increase but again not quite 100 hp.