PDA

View Full Version : Carb ducting hose

Ausfox
05-09-2014, 05:02 PM
I have a Kitfox IV with Jabiru 1200 motor. Those with similar setups will know that the path of the carb duct from the air box to the Bing carburettor requires an undesirable turn so a very flexible but non collapsable duct is needed.
When I purchased the aircraft it had flexible aluminium duct which I now need to replace. This part is similar to the warm air inlet duct fitted to many 70's cars but the size I need is 2 1/4 ID.
Can any member direct me to a source for this as it is not available in Australia. Plenty of 2" but no 2 1/4".
I have tried other setups with silicone bends and scat tube but these cannot give me the flow that the Al tube did.
Appreciate any help.
Ausfox

cubtractor
05-09-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't have the Bing carb so I use a square airbox to make the curve. Mine works well but have often thought about trying the Jabiru cobrahead. Might be something to think about.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=380&pictureid=4657

Ausfox
05-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately the Jabiru Cobrahead is too large to fit into the space between the carb and the firewall. Thanks for the suggestion though.

avidflyer
05-10-2014, 05:32 AM
On my Avid MK IV, I used a K and N filter that fit right on the carb. It is a double carb filter, but I plugged one hole. It only sticks back from the carb about 2" total, and just fits there between the firewall and the carb. No carb heat that way, but I never had any iceing issues. Jim Chuk

Peteohms
05-15-2014, 05:54 AM
Anybody got a cure for the ducting hose cracking?

SkySteve
05-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Duct tape? Works for everything else.

kmach
05-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi,

This silicone tape is nice for many things, ACS part# 09-30450

av8rps
05-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Anybody got a cure for the ducting hose cracking?

I just recently discovered "Gorilla tape" incredible stuff, far superior to duct tape. Much tougher, and much stickier. But so tough it is a bit hard to cut.

cgruby
05-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Food for thought! Fashion the duct out of styrofoam and then cover it with two layers of glass cloth using epoxy resin. Saw the duct in half and clean out the foam. Sand the inner surface and coat with a layer of resin. Bound the two halves back together with another couple of layers of glass cloth, and enjoy.

ChuckG

Peteohms
05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Food for thought! Fashion the duct out of styrofoam and then cover it with two layers of glass cloth using epoxy resin. Saw the duct in half and clean out the foam. Sand the inner surface and coat with a layer of resin. Bound the two halves back together with another couple of layers of glass cloth, and enjoy.

ChuckG

Is that experience talking Chuck? Sounds like a good idea. If you have done this what epoxy did you use?

cgruby
05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Is that experience talking Chuck? Sounds like a good idea. If you have done this what epoxy did you use?

For parts like what we are talking about, non-structural I wouldn't be pickey about the brand as long as it's epoxy resin. Polyester will melt the styrofoam. If you want to use polyester resin (cheaper) then you must use urethane foam to prevent the form from melting.

Cheers,

Ausfox
05-30-2014, 02:11 AM
Thanks for your responses gents but I think the flex duct is the most appropriate for this installation. I have tried and moved on from many alternatives.