PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Operating Handbook

av8rbc
04-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a digital version of a POH for a Series 5?

Thanks,

Gary
New owner of a Safari

Rooster
04-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi there av8rbc.

I think I have one on digital copy for my 5.
If you drop me your e-mail address, then I will try to send it in 3 sections to you.

Kind regards

Jch
04-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Is there a digital version of the POH for an SS7?

jiott
04-30-2014, 10:55 PM
There is no POH for the SS7 digital or otherwise; only for the SLSA. John McBean says they deliberately don't give out POH for the kit models because you are supposed to test all the parameters and write your own. They will not give you a copy of the SLSA POH. I agree that you are supposed to come up with your own numbers, but I think it would be very helpful and no liability problem for the factory if they could send a digital "MS WORD" template with all the numbers we are supposed to fill in blanked out with XXXX's. A lot of things like checklists, emergency procedures, recommended takeoff/landing procedures, etc. are kind of difficult to come up with on your own. I know some of this is available in the "Kitfox Pilot's Guide" book they sell (which covers all models), but it is not very easy to sort it all out for say an SS7, and it does not cover checklists and several other things that should be in a POH.

I would like to hear John chime in on this, since they must have a digital template already for their SLSA that could easily be modified to blank out the pertinent numbers that we should test for. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for it.

jdmcbean
05-01-2014, 10:34 AM
The plan is to offer a modified version of the POH for the S5-SS.
We do not have an expectation of completion at this time.

jiott
05-04-2014, 10:10 PM
That sounds great John. I'm sure there will be many of us who will appreciate it.

jtpitkin06
05-07-2014, 07:57 AM
I have an outline guide for developing a POH for any airplane.

This is not a "plug in the numbers and go" because every airplane is different. It is a guide for you to use when creating a POH for your specific airplane. It covers all the sections and procedures. If you follow the guide you will have a complete POH that will meet all requirements

The guide is 4 pages. A complete POH in 5 x 7 format will run about 40 pages. The outline is in MS word format.

I will provide it free of charge, to anyone. Just send your email address to me with the subject line POH.

Send your request DIRECTLY to:

John<at>cedarcreekrun<dot>com

DO NOT send requests to the Yahoo PM address as most of that gets rejected as spam.

jtpitkin06
05-07-2014, 10:24 PM
I opened my email tonight to a flood of requests for the POH outline. So I'm posting it here as well. Just copy and file it away for future use. John Pitkin

------------------------

Developing a Pilot Operating Handbook for Experimental Aircraft

Developing a POH takes time. The final product will fill many pages.
Following this outline will ensure you meet all the FAA requirements of a POH.
This outline purposely does not spell out every procedure in final wording as each experimental airplane is different.

Overview

This is an outline of items you should cover in your Pilot Operating Handbook ( POH ) for an Experimental Aircraft. Keep each section as simple as possible and as non-restrictive as possible. The goal is to describe every part of the airplane and how it operates. Most of the items can be addressed with a short paragraph. The performance section may include charts or tables. Many Items are intuitive, but you have to spell it out. You don’t need to describe how to build it, just how it works. For Example:

Doors
Two doors are installed. One on each side. To open the doors from the outside or inside rotate the handle to the open position. Lift the door.upward. An airspring shock assists opening and holds the door open. To close the doors, pull the door downward. Latch the door closed by rotating the handle to the closed and locked position. Caution should be used if opening the doors in flight as wind loads my cause the door to open suddenly. Speed should be reduced to minimum safe airspeed when opening and closing doors in flight.

Formatting Your POH

A 5 X 7 three ring binder is a good size and easy to make revisions.

Divide your POH into five sections.

Normal Procedures
Systems
Limitations
Abnormal/Emergency
Performance.

Each chapter should have expanded information on operating procedures and how they relate to the checklists.

You can start with:

TITLE PAGE

RECORD OF REVISIONS

NORMAL PROCEDURES should include the following sub-sections:

General. Identify the type of airworthiness certificate it has. Either Experimental- Amateur Built, or Experimental- Light Sport Aircraft. Include your normal operating checklist here. Make a small copy of the normal checklist to use in the airplane. Description of flight controls. Hot and cold weather operations and Deicing / anti icing which may be as simple as a statement of no icing permitted.

Preflight. Expanded preflight procedures. Passenger briefing. Do not gloss over this. Passengers must be briefed on how to work the seat belts and how to open the door.

Starting. Expanded before start and starting engine checklist. After engine start.

Taxi and takeoff. Expanded taxi checklist. Crosswind procedures. Use of transponder. Take off procedures. Use of flaps. Normal takeoff and obstacle takeoff climb speeds.

Climb. Flap retraction. Instrument scans for engine operation.

Cruise. Fuel burn monitoring and balancing (It could be as simple as flying with one wing low.

Descent. Descent planning. Landing distance compared to field length.
Altimeter setting. Use of carburetor heat. Shoulder harnesses on.

Before landing. Flap extension. Approach speed. Stabilized approach. Crosswind landings. Go around procedures. Flap retraction.

After landing. Brake usage. Flap retraction. Parking. Passenger deplaning. Prop avoidance.

SYSTEMS
This section has information on how to operate all controls and installed equipment.

General
Doors and windows
Cabin heat and ventilation
Operation in rain or freezing conditions.
Communications equipment
Flight instruments and displays.
Programming GPS or other navigation equipment (This can be as simple as a statement to refer to the GPS handbook and a handbook is required for flight.)
Electrical system
Standby power system. (Battery items)
Pitot static system.
Flight controls. Dual or single,
Landing gear, tire pressures.
Brakes. Dual or single.
Steering. Tricycle or tailwheel.
Rudders. Fixed or adjustable.
Flaps/flaperons
Trim system, electric or manual, standby system.
Fuel system
Warning lights.
Fire protection or procedures.
Oil system
Engine cooling system

LIMITATIONS

Minimum number of crew. (We all know it’s one pilot, but you have to spell it out.)
Minimum License Required (Sport Pilot, Recreational or PPL)
Allowed maneuvers, stalls, spins, chandelles, lazy eights etc.
Maximum airspeeds,
Maximum altitude.
Engine limits for RPM take-off, cruise, maximum and minimum temperatures, and minimum pressures. Use of carb heat. (some things show up in more than one area.)
Max take off weight
Max landing weight
CG envelope
Gross weight
Maximum demonstrated crosswind

The limitations will also have a list of all required placards inside and outside.

ABNORMAL/EMERGENCY

You should list procedures for the following:

Aborted take-off procedures.
Engine failure after take-off.
Engine Fire (turn off the fuel)
Cabin fire
Smoke in cockpit
Electrical failure
Engine failure in cruise
Flight control failure
Jammed flight control
Jammed stabilizer or trim.
Runaway Trim

PERFORMANCE
(You won’t have these figures until you do the flight testing.)

Takeoff distance at known weight.
Landing distance at known weights.
Climb rate at known weights.
Best rate of climb indicated airspeed.
Best angle of climb indicated airspeed.
Fuel consumption and range chart.
Stall Speeds

Summary

That about does it. Using the above outline you will cover all of the items required by the FAA for a POH.. Remember to keep it simple. An average POH for an experimental airplane in a 5 X 7 format will be about 40 to 50 pagers.

Do not put anything extra in the POH that is not required. This document becomes controlling. If you say the rudder is painted red for high visibility, then it must be red to fly the airplane. So, don’t say the rudder is red unless you want to restrict it to that color.

John Pitkin
Greenville, Texas
john@cedarcreekrun.com

rosslr
05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi John,

Thanks very much for this template - it will be very useful!

Appreciate as always.

cheers

ross

JohnB
04-26-2015, 03:56 PM
The plan is to offer a modified version of the POH for the S5-SS.
We do not have an expectation of completion at this time.

Any update on this? Or does anyone have a template POH for the SS that they would be willing to share?

I did find some nice POH templates on the Vans Air Force Forum:
http://www.vansairforce.net/poh.htm

It'd be nice if we could do something similar here.

jtpitkin06
04-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Posts number 7 and 8 give you all the info you need to develop a POH in the FAA approved format. Post 8 IS a template. You must detail the operation of YOUR airplane so you will not find a ready to fly version unless your airplane is exactly like the one you are copying. That means down to the last circuit breaker.

If you want a copy of my POH as an example to use with the outlines, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward it next week. I'm out of town for a week.

John Pitkin

JohnB
04-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks John,
Being a first time builder, its always nice to have an example and to see what others have done. Makes for a good starting point.
That's what I liked about the Vans Air Force link.

inzersv
05-06-2015, 08:20 AM
There is a good article in the June 2015 Kitplanes magazine on POH's and how to make one as a kneeboard. Just finished reading it at the Sea-Tac airport waiting for my flight to Reno, NV.

Esser
04-24-2018, 07:26 PM
I am starting to build my POH. I am using this template but I'm wondering if anyone would mind sending me a copy of their POH not for my to copy but for me to get ideas and understand how much information ect. you are putting in. I know John said to email him but I haven't seen him active on the forum for a while and the post is fairly old.

ken nougaret
04-24-2018, 09:05 PM
I've wondered where john pitkin has been. His build was looking so nice.

Rooster
04-25-2018, 02:10 AM
Sent a PM to you, Esser.

tjentzsch
09-20-2018, 03:47 PM
How does one even get started and go about creating a POH for a home built aircraft?

efwd
09-20-2018, 04:57 PM
First thing Im going to do is make a cover page. ;)
Really good question. I acquired one someone else put together to use as a template. My plan is to fly the plane and fill in my own information. The books are incredibly small relative to say, a Cessna. Thinking that a POH for a Kitfox would be available to purchase as is a Cessna 152 for example, I called the factory to buy one to use as a template. Their POH's are specific to each of their SLSA and it isn't something that can be purchased. It is only provided with the airframe it belongs to.

tjentzsch
09-20-2018, 05:20 PM
I understand one has to fill in their own information, but what information? What templates do you use or others use?

rv9ralph
09-20-2018, 08:22 PM
In the Phase I testing period after receiving your Special Airworthiness Certificate, you fly all the necessary flight profiles to determine the specific speeds (Vne, Vx, Vy, etc) for your airframe and to determine that the aircraft handling. Because you are the manufacturer of you new E-AB aircraft you have to determine these things for your POH for your aircraft. The text can be generic but the specifics must be for your aircraft. There are some good templates online.

Information on how to determine and fly the necessary test profiles are available in AC 90-89a AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT AND ULTRALIGHT FLIGHT TESTING HANDBOOK..

Ralph

rv9ralph
09-20-2018, 09:45 PM
One more thing... I believe there is a template in the "Pilots Guide to Kitfox" available from Kitfox Aircraft. The template has the format and verbiage but the necessary information on speeds are blank.

Ralph

tjentzsch
09-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Awesome, thank you for your help!

aviator79
09-24-2018, 08:02 AM
Mine is a work in progress since I'm still a ways off of finishing. If anyone likes it enough to want the source file, I'm happy to send it. Be warned, it's a LaTeX document, so you might not enjoy editing it. There's a learning curve, especially if you're not used to code or markup languages.

PapuaPilot
09-24-2018, 01:12 PM
That looks like a good template for creating a POH. I have my POH completed except for Section 5, which someday will contain all of the performance charts and data.

Be careful not to use the work "Approved" in your POH; I see it on Pg. 11 & 15 of your file. The word approved per the definitions in FAR 1.1 means "approved by the FAA or any person to whom the FAA has delegated its authority in the matter concerned". We don't have the authority to call our POH approved.

I put the following warning at the beginning of Section 2. "Although this section is not FAA approved, the information found in the 'Limitations Section' should be regarded as mandatory, and must be strictly observed".
My first paragraph of Section 2 points out the document "Experimental Operating Limitations Operating Amateur-Built Aircraft" from the Boise FSDO, dated XX/XX/XXXX. This is the document that you receive when you get your Special Airworthiness Certificate from the FAA or DAR. FYI this document must be carried onboard the aircraft at all times.
I included a listing for Placards in Section 2, including their locations (just like many certified aircraft do). I only listed one for safety critical items such as placards by the fuel caps, fuel selector, the required passenger warning, aircraft data plate and the word "Experimental".
On the title page I think it is important to put the aircraft serial number. The POH is specific to your plane only. Listing the N number is okay, but it can be changed.
I think it's OK to use the words "must" and "shall" in your POH. If I ever sell my plane to somebody else a good POH may save my bacon if it ever comes to litigation.

Example: I have a required placard in my POH that says "Avoid Extended Steep Descents With Less Than 2 Gallons"

silvaleonardo
01-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Hello, I'm to this old thread about POH and the reason is because, after a long waiting for my tail number wich I got it already, now they want me to present a POH and other documents in order to get the airworthiness certificate. My Kitfox is an s7. I someone has one for me to take ideas I Will be thankfull. My email is silvaleonardof2d@yahoo.com
Thaks.