PDA

View Full Version : antenna mounting

ken nougaret
04-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Hello all,
should the powder coat be removed from the mount plate for the vhf antenna on top of the fuse (s7). And then the fabric trimmed around. Another words is the antenna looking for a ground here? thanks, ken

Av8r_Sed
04-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Without knowing what antenna you're using I'll guess. There are probably star washer(s) to make contact with the underside of the mounting plate. I think it would unusual to try to make the ground connection on the top side.

ken nougaret
04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Its the standard comant comm antenna with an aluminum base. I see the corporate jet antennas mount to bare frame and then seal around the edge.

jtpitkin06
04-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Hello all,
... is the antenna looking for a ground here? thanks, ken

Yes, your antenna needs a ground plane at the attachment point. It doesn't matter if the ground is through a mounting nut and washer or the antenna base. So you may cover the airframe and mount the antenna on a fabric covered plate as long as you have a good metal ground connection on the interior. I go a step further and add a star washer terminal lug under the coax nut and wire it to a ground lug (screw) located about 2 inches away. Seal the connections with silicone.

John Pitkin KK5QI
Greenville, Tx

ken nougaret
04-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the replies. ken