PDA

View Full Version : Model 4 Vertical Angle

dalords
04-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know what the degree angle of the Model 4 vertical is and what the radius at the top is

rogerh12
04-06-2014, 06:11 PM
I can measure my model-4-1200, but I am unsure of what you are looking for. Can you scan in a picture of the area in question?
Roer

SkyPirate
04-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Guessing he is talking about the leading edge of vertical stab, and radius where it meets the top

dalords
04-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Yes the vertical leading edge angle. Can be taken anywhere along the leading edge. The middle of the leading edge is the best place because it gives you the best overall average. not so much concerned about the radius at the top, was just wondering if anyone know or had ever measured it. I am assuming it is probably a 5" radius.

GWright6970
04-07-2014, 09:02 AM
It is much more than a 5 inch radius... such that the true value might not be of value to you to use.... so here is what I have taken from my IV-1200, 1993 vintage...

First a picture showing that the top is NOT 90 degrees with the back of the vertical stabilizer, and therefore is a challenge to use with the leading edge... and it also shows the "lay out."

Also!

I have taken a piece of typing paper and traced the actual edges for you to use as a template....

I hope this is of value to you!

Esser
04-07-2014, 09:28 AM
OK, I'll bite. All the threads asking questions about the dimensions, what is your project? Fixing a flipped bird?

dalords
04-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Thank you so much that helps out greatly

dalords
04-07-2014, 09:36 AM
No not a flipped bird. I have a model 1 with factory model 2 tail and wings. It was crashed several years ago. Ground loop that ended up with the gear being ripped of the plane when it hit a ditch. I bought it about a year ago installed Grove gear and have rebuild it. I don't like the stability when it is on the take off roll. So I have increased the vertical by 10" and the rudder as well as the additional 2" to the rudder chord. The question are just to validate the dimensions that I have. I really appreciate all the help this forum has given me, it has made this project a real great experience.

cap01
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I just completed a project like that on my 1050 , installed a classic rudder and made the vertical taller to match . didn't mess with trying to match angles , cut the top off the vert , spliced in pieces at the post and front . worked well , some problems getting hinges to align correctly . I've got a few pics if interested

dalords
04-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Pics would be great chuck! I would love that! Anything that helps. If you want email them to me at dalords@cableone, net