PDA

View Full Version : glue/adhesive for wood and lexan?

Wheels
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I have a small lexan piece cut out for my close out panels at the sight gauge opening in the cockpit.

I tried to glue it to the outside window frame and the adhesive simply would not hold it. first I tried pure silicone adhesive, then I tried a two part epoxy. Is the small surface area of the fabric covered part killling the adhesion? I didn't want to screw it into the wood, the old ones were glued in, heck, it looked like "Elmers."

SkyPirate
04-03-2014, 05:59 PM
drill it and sew it then cover with tape :)

Wheels
04-03-2014, 08:29 PM
It's lexan. It's what the original builder had in it but thicker. (scrap from my doors. Should I change material?

airlina
04-04-2014, 03:21 AM
Mine is thin clear plastic polycarbonate which I had to sew onto the fabric, but an easier idea might be some large head fabric rivets squeezed gently so you don't crack the plastic. Bruce

Wheels
04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
maybe the lexan I'm using is just too thick for this application. The wood behind the frame in the picture is about 1/4 inch thick like the but ribs. So sewing is not exactly an easy task, I would be drilling a bunch of holes through the wood rather than just putting in a few rivets or a screw. I've never seen anyone else's. anyone got a pic?

Dave S
04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Wheels,

Here is a photo of this area on our S7 from 2008.

The instructions in the build manual, at the time, said to use fabric to cover up the root area from the inside of the cockpit with a plastic window sewn into the fabric over the fuel sight gauge.....didn't like that.... the butt rib had three holes in it so I covered the front and back with an aluminum panel, then used the same polycarbonate I used for the side windows over the center hole, but, screwed it down from the inside to give a little more relief between the sight window and the fuel sight gauge. Don't have a photo from the other side but I spaced the screws about the same as you see for the aluminum panels on the front and back rib hole.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp

Wheels
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
i like it!
thanks

jtpitkin06
04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Canopy glue for model airplanes works well for gluing
Lexan, acetate, etc to wood or fabric.
Pacer 560 available from hobby shops or
Amazon. About 4 $. Goes on white dries clear.
Doesn't melt plastic.

beeryboats
04-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Canopy glue for model airplanes works well for gluing
Lexan, acetate, etc to wood or fabric.
Pacer 560 available from hobby shops or
Amazon. About 4 $. Goes on white dries clear.
Doesn't melt plastic.

And it stays a bit flexible so vibration won't effect it too much. It takes a while to dry if you get on too thick. And it can be a bit runny. Shake the heck out of it before use.

Peteohms
04-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Another option. PFM adhesive. Pretty F..... Magic is the way they used to advertise.

n85ae
04-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Automotive Goop will glue it, scuff the edges a bit with some 220, mine haven't
fallen out after 10 years like that ...

Jeff