PDA

View Full Version : Taxi safety

Slyfox
05-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I went flying this morning and came upon something that should be talked about. I taxi'd out took off, had a great flight. I landed and was taxi'n back to the hangar. I was on a tight taxiway and had the sun in my eyes so I put my hat on real quick. Than I approached my right turn, I was going slow, about 5mph or less. I did what I always do for such a right turn and hit the left brake and swung left real quick and looked right, there right in front of me was a Husky, not even 30ft away. Oh my, I thought as I hit the brakes. I sat there for a few seconds, with both of use looking at each other. Like, now what do we do. I hit left rudder and brake and swung around on a 180. Went back and hit another turn off. Man, I sure glad I have it writen in my book to always turn left to check for passage before taxi'n to the right.

I have a tail wheel. So everything to the center and right is blocked by panel.

SkyPirate
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I have had that happen to slyfox,..you'd think with all of todays electronics,..and the rear view camera's on vehicles,..someone would come up with a camera that could be mounted on the landing gear somewhere and hook it up to a screen in one of the avionics packages of today,..there is a challenge..for the electronic wiz's,.I mean they have GPS in automobiles,..that also has a rear view camera you can see on the same screen,..modify a program so that avionic GPS's have the same capability,..shesh sometimes I scare myself ..ha ha

SkyPirate
05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I flew at '43 SNJ AT-6 that had the camera on the tail facing forward,..one on each wing facing towards the cockpit all went to a unit mounted in the fuselage,..another set up on a phantom ultralight similar went to a unit mounted on a knee pad,..for videoing loops rolls cartwheels etc. with a little ingenuity anyone can do a similar set up,..since some already have the GPS/avionics screen mounted in panel,.it would be nice to have a program that could use the same screen,..your only added weight would be the lipstick camera,..and less space taken on the panel,..the sunviser idea sounds like a plan too