PDA

View Full Version : No start/diode

phintz
03-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Hey everyone, tried starting my kitfox 6 today for the first time! Like I said, I tried! after a lot of cussing and re reading instructions again and again. I found that I had the diode flipped backwards! I cant stress this enough, That if the red part of the diode isn't on the starter side of the starter solenoid ,the engine will NOT start!!:mad:

I hope this helps another builder!:D

this was in previous posts but I didn't pay attention enough!
Will wait til this next weekend for try #2 , 70 degrees is much warmer than 30.

Patrick
series 6 builder

jrevens
03-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Patrick,
The diode, which goes across the coil terminals (or whatever points the coil is internally connected to) is also polarity sensitive, just like your capacitor. If hooked up to the proper points, but backwards, you will have a direct short to ground when voltage is applied (starter switch engaged). This should have probably tripped the circuit breaker, or blown the fuse on the starter circuit (you do have protection on that circuit, right?). It could have blown out the diode also.
The diode is there to protect the starter switch contacts from excessive arcing when the coil is de-energized & the magnetic field collapses, causing a high voltage spike.

Dave S
03-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Patrick,

Do not dispair.....we all have stuff happen which sets us back a little, you are right on track......it helps to go back and check the instructions....sometimes the answer isn't real obvious at first but some studying usually sets things right.:)

Hang in there!

Dave S