PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break-in

Robin G
05-17-2009, 08:00 AM
I am in the process of breaking in my new 582 blue-heaad. Does anybody have any experience with this? I am using a ROTAX provided break-in schedule, but after going through the exercise twice, which envolved a couple of hours of run-ups at various RPMs for various times, I still am not able to keep the coolant terprature under 180 at high RPMs. I have attached a water hose to spray directly on the radiator which will help keep it in the green, but without this added cooling the engine still heats up. We have changed the coolant fluid (50/50 mix) and checked the water pump and radiator. I ran the plane around the pattern once to see if the added air movement would help. It did not. The instrument and sending unit are the same used on the old engine.

Any input on how long this process should take?

wadeg
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Robin,
If worse comes to worst, you can emulate the Reno racers and just run a sprayer onto your radiator in flight. Just use that gas can in the picture to set up some kind of 5 gal tank to supply your Reno racer style sprayer system with juice :)
Heck, considering your KF glider time, you might as well log some KF Reno racer time too!

SkyPirate
05-20-2009, 10:12 AM
my 582 ran warm too ..even with 300 hours on it,... are you using the oil tank and pump or premixing your fuel?
pay attention to your EGT's don't let them exceed the stated temp in your engine manual,.. they will change in temp quicker then your CHT's
I did notice at different RPM's the temp would raise or lower,..I tried to stay out of the range that they raised,..
what is your static RPM? sometimes backing off just a tad on prop pitch will lower temp on a 2 cycle also.

also..it is a water cooled system..have you checked for air in your system,..when you shut your engine off ..does the fluid elevation stay in the same place or fluctuate up and down and push fluid into the overflow/expantion container.

I don't remember the exact specs for fluid content concerning the 582 and it's radiator /(heater if applicable) etc.. ,..did you put a measured amount into the cooling sytem when you filled it ..is it close to the capacity of the engine/radiator .. if it is not ..you might have air in the system.
If you do have a cabin heater..open the valves to let the fluid flow thru it when you fill the system.

one more thing ..you had mentioned you used the same sensors from prior engine ..did you also use the same hoses,...check the hoses for cavitation/colapsing if you used the same hoses,..if the hoses collapse at higher rpms ,.. sometimes on a bend ..it will collapse ,..the only good cure is to get a 90 degree bend made out of stainless or plastic if the hose has a tight radius'd bend in it.

if all of the above is ok ,..you might have to go to the carb's jetting and a size up or down,..and get the carbs in sync.