PDA

View Full Version : possible answer to moving kitfox's in a shop

SkyPirate
05-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I just posted a rough drawing in my profile photo album of a possible answer to moving a kitfox around in the shop or hangar with the wings folded back,..I don't know if anyone had thought of this ,..but it seems like a good idea..

SkyPirate
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
see if this works ,..I tried to upload it to this post

Cwehner
05-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Not sure if that is used for "during" build or "post" build but here's what we built for "during" build. 4 heavy casters some wood and a little ingenuity on the tail jack. Makes for easy 360 degree turns in one spot and nice level plane for easy building.

Chris

SkyPirate
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM
that will work too better with all points on casters,..great looking plane too

SkyPirate
05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I was thinking more for after your done ,.but for building the kit it would work too,..the tail stand would make it allot easier to move the kit around in a shop or hanger with the wings folded, the only downfall to a tail mouted stand,..if you have the engine installed ,and no wings on..you would have to add weight to the tail stand so the kit didn't accidently get bumped and end up on its nose,.. 2 "T" rods to go thru the hitch mount and thru the mounts on the tail stand,..as you well know with your stand ,..it made it allot easier to get the plane out of the way when you weren't working on it ,.. and to rotate it for lighting purposes,..etc,..
I am going to build one for my kit when I get it ,..I'll probably add a 1" piece of pipe so I can slide some weight lifting weights onto the pipe for added weight to prevent the kit from doing a "hangar nose dive" so to speak :)

Great looking plane Chris ,..have you got your engine yet?

Cwehner
05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the nice comments on the Kitfox. The dolly my father built for the plane (15 years ago when he started building it) has made it so easy to work on and move. one person can easily move the plane in all directions with the wings open or closed. The hangar I am in is old and occasionally will spring a leak so it's nice to be able to quickly move the plane ;) those pics are from about 4 months ago and I have since put in about 150 hours on it. not sure how much left but it feels close. I would guess about 95% complete. our engine is a 912 UL that we have had crated for a long time so we are going through the process of service bullitins and changing all the rubber out. My father had already had it hung and all the plumbing and wiring done on it years ago, so I'm hoping it goes smooth. I have it temporarily hung on the plane to check fit and holes through the firewall. Thanks for the interest and I'll have to start a photo album so I can show the progress. I've got hundreds of pics.

Chris
Tulsa OK
Kitfox IV, 912

Bryan
05-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Chris she is looking great. Just wanted to let you know you are welcome to call or stop in if you are in Eastern Kansas. Mine is a Model IV with the 912. I would love to come see your project sometime. Keep up the good work. Bryan 620-343-6086.