PDA

View Full Version : Avid Amphibious Floats

68niou1
03-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Hey guys- just picked up a set of Avid amphibious floats with all the hardware- at least I believe they are Avids. Any advice or direction on these would be appreciated. Thanks- Scott

bbryan
03-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Scott, got a pair that look just like them but mine are straight floats and they were stated as avid floats. I dont have the rigging so there just sitting in the barn. Mine are about 12ft. long and that seems a little short to me but I have no float time. Wondering if you are putting them on a Kitfox or Avid?

68niou1
03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
My plan is to put them on my Kitfox. I have all the rigging as far as I know, but no instructions or plans. Don't really know anything about them- and from what I see so far, neither does anyone else:confused:

Av8r3400
03-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Scott - Reach out to member named Av8rPS (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/member.php?u=881) about this. He is an old Avid Seaplane jockey from way, way back...

av8rps
03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi Scott, I am familiar with those avid amphibs. They are in fact Avid floats. I flew that float, although not an amphib, on an early lightweight (400 lb ew) Avid A model, and then later on a 600 lb ew Mk 4 Avid. The floats have good buoyancy, I would guess around 1200 lbs. So they would work well on early, lighter Kitfox models, up to a model 4-1200 imho. The downside of these floats is that they are not as strong structurally as most others, so if you put them on a kitfox with say more than 550 lbs ew on wheels, be careful not to pound them too hard in rough water, etc.

I also had a set of Avid amphibs just like yours, but sold them before I ever flew them. The gear is pretty well designed, but if I recall they are around 260 lbs empty weight, which is a bit heavy for a small float. But, it will still work just fine on the right airplane.

68niou1
03-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks for posting AV8RPS- I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea where I can find some plans or anything that shows proper installation??

Thanks,

Scott

av8rps
03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for posting AV8RPS- I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea where I can find some plans or anything that shows proper installation??

Thanks,

Scott

Not sure there is any documentation around for the amphibs, but I will dig through my old info to see if I can find something. No promises, and it will take me 3 or 4 days I'm sure, but if I do have any info yet I will get you what I have:)

bbryan
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM
If anybody runs across the rigging for the avid straight floats, im looking for some. Thought i saw just the struts once for sale for 100 bucks but when I checked the measurments with the mounts on the Kitfox they didnt fit. Wasnt sure what was up with that. Though the avid and kitfox mounts were the same.

av8rps
03-21-2014, 04:37 PM
If anybody runs across the rigging for the avid straight floats, im looking for some. Thought i saw just the struts once for sale for 100 bucks but when I checked the measurments with the mounts on the Kitfox they didnt fit. Wasnt sure what was up with that. Though the avid and kitfox mounts were the same.

The Avid only has three attach points per side and the later kitfox has four. So the strut attach is different (unless you have a very early fox). But you could probably make them work.

av8rps
03-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Well, I looked through all my papers and files and couldn't find anything giving install details on Avid floats. But I did find a few pictures of Avid floats, straight and amphib on a plane or two for visual reference. The picture out of the old Avid brochure I thought was good because it shows the position of the step on the Avid prototype.

68niou1
03-23-2014, 09:30 PM
av8rps- Thank you very much for taking the time and uploading what you have. It will be a huge help I assure you!!!

Thanks again!!!

Scott

DesertFox4
03-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for stepping up with the great photos and info Paul. You're the float guru when it comes to Kitfox.

Hope to stop over while at AirVenture this year and visit a spell.

av8rps
03-25-2014, 05:27 PM
av8rps- Thank you very much for taking the time and uploading what you have. It will be a huge help I assure you!!!

Thanks again!!!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear you felt that helped. If you want more information check into the other post I just put up regarding a "Kitfox Hidro". There I put a whole bunch of Aerocet float specs you might also find useful.

Paul

av8rps
03-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks for stepping up with the great photos and info Paul. You're the float guru when it comes to Kitfox.

Hope to stop over while at AirVenture this year and visit a spell.

You are quite welcome. I like to help out my friends (especially when they want to float their Kitfox :))

I look forward to seeing you at OSHKOSH.

Oh, and THANK YOU and the other moderators that keep this site going for all of us!!

Paul Seehafer