PDA

View Full Version : 94JE first flight out of KBDU!!!!!

rdooley79
03-06-2014, 06:56 PM
So yesterday afternoon, we finally got a break from the weather here on the front range. Prior to this my CFI who has 9000+hrs and many thousands in alaska flying everything and specializes in floats. Plus he's a cool guy in general. He had a Luscombe 8A that was supposed to be his trainer but unfortunately age brought out a few too many issues this winter and he decided to ground her. Too bad it would have been a good starter and then transition. :(

So, we decided to take it up yesterday afternoon. As this was the first flight, Kevin took the left seat and I watched all the temps and watched for traffic. It was so cool to take off for the first time. For his first time in the plane it was o.k. but definately different than he was used to and raised the tail too late and tried to get it off a little too fast but not bad. we climbed out well at about 500fpm. However the ASI was reading 0! I was so focused on the engine temps that I didnt notice until Kevin pointed it out. He even said that it was a good flying plane and the sight picture and feel was good enough that he didnt notice until we were off. We decided to fly the pattern and bring it back to the hanger for investigation. The landing was fast, but kevin just held it in ground effect until all the airspeed went away and she just bumped on the runway with a little wobble but not bad at all! I have to give Kevin a hand for handling it with cool skill. Once we got back I noticed that the pitot tube "dust" cover was stuck and wouldn't flip back in flight. It came off immediately. ASI worked great!

Taxied back out and took off again and headed over to KEIK about 7 miles away. We were running about 6000 and getting about 85 cruise. I'm looking out the window and looking at the wing. It was a cool feeling of flying in my new plane. It's soooo different than my trike. I'm used to being completely out in the open. The KF is a tight cabin with a dash and doors and wings right above my head. My trike has a big wing but it's way higher up and the view is amazing. The trike also flies about 65 and is made for STOL on rough terrain. I wanted a faster enclosed mini bush plane and that is a KF 100%! Cruising at 85 is awesome! I'm just loving the KF. But as cool as it was we found that the air was rather rough, which can happen right along the Rocky Mountains. We got knocked kind-of hard and we watched the wind shift from the south to the west. Right over the mountains which is bad air. So as it was the first flight but had successfully proven that it was at least a solid plane to this point. We decided to turn around and head back to KBDU. We had some radio problems as well, it was like we weren't able to receive or transmit at any range. So coming back Kevin lined up and I called the airspeeds out for him. Approach right at 65 then 60 and hold it till just over the numbers, then bleed it back till the tail settles... well that was the plan and that all happened except for the tail settling.... she held airspeed and we bumped once then a bit of a bounce as it came to the ground. Not bad considering with the wind coming off the mountains puts the runway in a mechanical rotor as well, I was impressed. I know what it's like landing in similar conditions with the trike and it is challenging. Taxied back and put her back in the hanger. Flight time about 30 minutes. Short but definitely confidence inspiring.

Kevin wants to fly the KF with me in the right seat for a bit longer until he's comfortable. I totally agree. But the plan is next flight if thing's go smooth I'll get my first chance to take the controls!

I think the radio problem is antenna or antenna ground related. I'm going to take the whip antenna off of my trike and test with it. if that works then the whip is getting installed on the KF and I'll just order a longer one for the trike that will fit better. -upgrades- :cool:

I'll keep you guys posted.

avidflyer
03-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Sound like you are about ready to start having fun! Good for you! Keep us informed on everything about the plane. Jim Chuk

Av8r3400
03-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Videos. Photos. Pictures. Illustrations. A pencil sketch? Where are they??

C'mon, man!

rdooley79
03-06-2014, 08:36 PM
yeesh, ok ok!

It's about 7p.m. and she just went in to the hanger for the first time. You can kindof see my trike in the background.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=362&pictureid=4488

Flying my trike in to Oshkosh for those interested;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx5EiIALj8M

Definitely more to come as I learn my new KF.

Jbeck
03-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm hoping to get up there to see ya one of these weekends in March.

GWright6970
03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
GREAT job!!! Love your post! Please keep us informed on your progress!

Grover

jdmcbean
03-07-2014, 09:35 PM
CONGRATS!!!!! Fly Safe!

rdooley79
03-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Yesterday was awesome!

The weather cooperated and Kevin was able to get some good short field practice at KEIK. We're finding out that the elevator is running out almost every landing. Not a big problem but a set of gap seals and vg's on the tail will help that a lot.

Ok ok ok, I now have 1.6 hours of stick time! Woohoo! So much fun and DIFFERENT from the trike. I was doing o.k. at coordinating the controls. Climbs and descents are tougher than I expected. The sight picture for turns is easy to reference fom the bumps on the cowling to the horizon. I'm getting the feel of a snappy coordinated turn and a loose uncoordinated turn just by the feeling the seat of my pants. Wow I'm having a blast!

I write this as I'm "getting ready" to leave the house this early morning to get another hour or two in.

:cool:

...more to come...

Slyfox
03-09-2014, 07:10 AM
congrats on flying your kitfox. I don't understand the running out of elevator. I have an electric trim in my elevator, maybe that helps that I don't mess with the flaps for level flight don't know. but if your having trouble on landing. my advice is a full stall landing 3 point. I run 70mph on final and slow real fast close to the runway and make sure and have 50mph over the numbers. than I run about 3 feet over the runway and wait for that right moment and pull back on the stick full and my baby just quits flying and settles real nice and smooth onto the runway. I learned also a long time ago to look out the left lower door at the runway to left tire. I have clear doors to the bottom, that is my sight. I never look down the runway. good, luck and have fun.